Yet another random question.

mwbjr13

Anyone know a pickup builder who could/be willing to make a noisless strat bridge with all the qualities of a tele bridge and none of the qualities of a strat? Or better yet, does anyone know of such a pickup?

as others here will problally tell you check out road house pickups. i have not used there stuff but others here rave about them.

Sadly, a lot of what makes a tele pickup sound like 'that' is the big honking grounded plate under the coil. Without that your not going to make it.

But by all means talk to roadhouse- they, er I mean he, might have a trick to pull it off.

If the route is big enough on the guitar, Ken (Roadhouse) could probably make a tele pickup with the strat coil on top of it.  I am not sure what would be required to make it happen, but Ken has made a lot of very interesting custom designs.
Patrick

Mayfly said:
Sadly, a lot of what makes a tele pickup sound like 'that' is the big honking grounded plate under the coil. Without that your not going to make it.

But by all means talk to roadhouse- they, er I mean he, might have a trick to pull it off.

I know Fralin sells steel baseplates for strat bridge PU's.

*chanting* Roadhouse, Roadhouse!

Ken is awesome, I'll be getting any and all my pickup needs filled by him from now on.

Late to the party, just getting back from vacation.

Hmmm.. Quite a few factors that make a tele sound the way it does. Coil dimension, wire guage, plate underneath... That stuff is pretty do-able. The hardest part is keeping those qualities and making it noiseless. It is possible to do it and make it nearly noiseless with shielding. Over under coils have magnetic coupling issues and a dummy coil isn't too bad but it will never sound exactly like a tele IMO.

True, I do love a challenge and thanks to all for suggesting my work. mwbjr13, PM me or email through my site and we can speak about it some more. Feel free to call as well. I can custom laser cut bobbins so whatever you have in mind I would love to explore it!  :icon_thumright:

That would be awesome TroubledTreble  :icon_thumright: The pickup portion of the build is still a ways off but when the time comes I'll be coming your way.

Good piezo suggestions?  Oxymoron.

But seriously - I haven't heard any I liked.  What's your intended application, and can you mic an acoustic instead?

I could mic my acoustic Bagman, but Im a huge Lifeson fan and I would like to be able to switch between electric and acoustic easily. I already use the Boss acoustic simulator and its ok but I would like to have it already in my guitar.

Do what I do. Place your acoustic on a playing stand at playing level. Volume knob down, acoustics ready. Like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDLSODB5dIE

Simple! Sounds much better than any piezo can.

Back