Yet another pickup opinion post! - best single coils

Spider

Hi there,

Nearly finished my Warmoth Strat - raw rosewood vintage modern neck, chambered swamp ash body, Callaham hardware. I play mostly blues, rock, modern worship music. Any thoughts on a preferred single coil set? Nothing too hot (maybe a hotter bridge, I guess). I'm most interested in noiseless pups, but may go the normal route - not sure yet.

Type of tone?

I'm trying to avoid tone that could be described as sterile, lifeless, cold, harsh, metallic.

I'm looking for tone that could be described as organic, woody, complex, smooth but with some bite - and good response to pick attack, pick angle, digging in or not etc.

If anyone could help with some fave pups or suggestions, I'd be very grateful!  :hello2:

Thanks,

Spider

This might be worth checking out: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11567.0;viewResults

Lots of great choices. If you get more specific people can help you better - an artist whose tone you dig? Alnico 5 or A2 flavor magnets? What's more important, shimmery cleans or bluesy overdriven SRV tone? Pick one and people will give specific advice I bet.

Hit up TroubledTreble.  He hand winds these: www.roadhousepickups.com

You won't be disappointed.  I love my set. 

Spider said:
Hi there,

Nearly finished my Warmoth Strat - raw rosewood vintage modern neck, chambered swamp ash body, Callaham hardware. I play mostly blues, rock, modern worship music. Any thoughts on a preferred single coil set? Nothing too hot (maybe a hotter bridge, I guess). I'm most interested in noiseless pups, but may go the normal route - not sure yet.

You've got Callaham hardware - you've seen the quality - why not go for a Callaham pup set?  H/SRVs.

Spider said:
I'm trying to avoid tone that could be described as sterile, lifeless, cold, harsh, metallic.

Then you'd better scratch "noiseless" off your list.

Superlizard said:
Spider said:

i disagree with that, dimarzios are ok, other than that i have two words... Bill Lawrence! and they are no more expensive than dimarzio or duncan, they may be a problem to get right now though.

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I'm based in the UK, so I'm a bit tempted by Bare Knuckles (especially with the pound falling so much against the dollar!) They don't do a noiseless, but with a reverse-wound middle I could get some way there. Anyone out there with any experience of Bare Knuckle singles? They seem to be better known for 'buckers...

In terms of tone preferences, I guess I lean towards 60s strat tones rather than super-clean stuff - I'm looking for something that's not pristine clean but has some grit and texture, but cleans up well with lower vol or gentler pick attack. But not insane distortion...I love Kossoff's tone when he (rarely!) played a strat, if that helps. :laughing7:

one work .. KINMAN

I've got them in 2 of my guitars and also in the Strat I recently sold.

They are incredible and worth every penny

There is no need to put up with noise when these are available  :headbang1:

Spider said:
Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I'm based in the UK, so I'm a bit tempted by Bare Knuckles (especially with the pound falling so much against the dollar!) They don't do a noiseless, but with a reverse-wound middle I could get some way there. Anyone out there with any experience of Bare Knuckle singles? They seem to be better known for 'buckers...

In terms of tone preferences, I guess I lean towards 60s strat tones rather than super-clean stuff - I'm looking for something that's not pristine clean but has some grit and texture, but cleans up well with lower vol or gentler pick attack. But not insane distortion...I love Kossoff's tone when he (rarely!) played a strat, if that helps. :laughing7:

even with the pound falling i'll bet the american pup's are cheaper, bare knuckles were expensive last i checked, but as an alternative to kinmans or lollars which i dont know where either of those are made you might be doing well.

WCR SR set from jim Wagner. Expensive (build only on request) but worth every single penny.

If you are searching for something really good in the EU, you should give the "Leosounds" 1962 Overwound or Redhouse set a try.

mayfly said:
I've been loving Lollar pickups.

I cannot say enough good things about the Lollars. Right now, I have blondes in neck and middle and a special in the bridge. They sound wonderful. Its all there: chime, woody, smooth, and complexity. They overdrive really nicely. Dynamics on them are incredible. The sound clips on the website actually do a really good job on the characteristics of the pickups. You wont be disappointed.

I recently installed a set of the Suhr V60LP's in my strat, Best I've played yet, very clear vintage tone ! worth checking out for sure !

I stand by my earlier suggestion.. Kinman

All the tone but zero noise.

I don't know how anyone puts up with the noise.. i couldn't even use my Strat in a gig when I 1st got it.

Tone doesn't matter if you can't hear it above the hum  :dontknow:

My Suhr pups are pretty darn quiet for a non noiseless pup, I had dimarzio noiseless in first and I like these better, I would personally rather sacrifice a little noise over a better tone,  but I've never tried the Kinmann pups, I bet they are pretty damn awesome :)

Superlizard said:
Spider said:
Hi there,

You've got Callaham hardware - you've seen the quality - why not go for a Callaham pup set?  H/SRVs.

Spider said:

+1 on that, ....
   .....got the Callaham H/SRV specials and they are tone meisters for sure, the little bit of noise they make is far less than people like to make it out as, I would gladly have the extra noise to keep my tone than opt out for a noisless set, when your playing you dont hear any noise other than what your playing anyway, so who cares...thats what a volume knob is for, turning it down when you stop.

True SC pickups vary a lot in their noisiness. The higher output ones tend to hum a lot more in my experience. I've found the Bill Lawrence true SC pickups to be the quietest ones I have ever used.

Back