Wudtone Highlights

Rick

Epic Member
Does anyone here have any experience with Wudtone Highlights.  I plan on putting the highlights on neat, as per the directions, but I was wondering, after I've let them dry do you buff to smooth out the finish?  I'm guessing you do, but am not sure.  Or are the flakes microscopic and don't need smoothing?  :dontknow: I sent an email to the owner of wudtone, and haven't heard back yet.
Thanks ???

This is what the directions say:

apply neat after base coats for some creative eg this after using the surfer girl tint
Simply put a small amount of the highlight onto a rag and rub over the body. You will see the highlight
embed into the grain. Make sure there is no excess in any area other than embedded in the grain. One
application is usually enough. One you have embedded the highlight in the grain, leave to dry for
24hrs before applying top coat.

But later it says:

Top Coat
When you are ready to add depth and durability to the finish, first, rub lightly with fine steel wool.
... Always finish stroking along the grain and again make sure there is no excess
... Keep coats as thin as possible especially if you have chosen the extra gloss option as it is tempting
to rag on thicker coats but resist. Leave to cure (satin 24hrs, extra gloss 48hrs)

Looks like I'll be getting some creative eg. 

Probably start with 1/2 the bottle and see what happens.  While it doesn't say anything about a light buffing after applying the highlights, it does say to lightly buff before applying the top coat. give a light rub with fine steel wool before applying the next top coat to build more depth

I have not used it but it sounds to me like here are the key points...

Make sure there is no excess in any area other than embedded in the grain. One
application is usually enough. Once you have embedded the highlight in the grain, leave to dry for
24hrs before applying top coat.

As the base coats are done and the highlight is "embedded into the grain" a light rub with steel wool would not touch the highlights I would assume...

Then...

When you are ready to add depth and durability to the finish, first, rub lightly with fine steel wool.

I believe Wudtone have a forum type support section for asking and answering these types of questions.

The wudtone forum is moribund.  Doesn't matter ... I'm following the directions and I'm posting pics for others to follow and it might as well be on the best website ever    .... this one.

When it comes to Wudtone, the only way I've gotten any help is to call BYO Guitar who sells the stuff here in the US. A couple times when they didn't have the information I needed, they referred me to some guy at Wudtone but he never responded to my inquiries. Fortunately the stuff is pretty forgiving and I've just experimented with scraps until I found what would do the trick. I look forward to seeing your pics and descriptions on this. Here. On the best forum ever.  :icon_thumright: I do like the feel of the finishes and will do another with Wudtone soon.

Back