Wrong jack for a flat top LP?

David

I recently received my new LP flat top body.  I had the body routed with a 1/2" jack hole.  (The little boy in me giggles whenever I type the words "jack hole"). 

Here is the jack I have:  DPJ1 - Switchcraft Brand Deep Panel Mono Jack. To be used with a 1/2" Side Jack Hole.

Here is the problem, the jack is not long enough for me to fasten the bolt in the control cavity-- it does not stick out past the wood.

What can I do?  Did I screw up this order?

I don't think that's the right jack for a LP.  No biggie, you can just go to Radio Shack and buy a plain old 1/4" mono jack for $2

I doubt if that would work if the body is drilled with a 1/2" hole...

On the Warmoth site, it mentions that for the LP bodies, "Very conventional stock-standard controls are the norm as is a 7/8" diameter side jack hole". That makes me wonder if they really are suited to 1/2" holes. As a first check on the obvious, you did remove all hardware from the jack except an o-ring, so nothing is keeping it from going in as far as it should?

If so, I would see if you can recess the area around the hole from the inside of the body, so that you create a 'step' that can receive the nut for the jack. If you can get in at a suitable angle, you could carefully drill it out a bit with a 3/8" drill, otherwise maybe take a dremel to it...

Radio Shack sells jacks suitable for a 3/4" or 7/8" hole, the only jack that will fit a 1/2" hole are the "deep panel" types. I would talk to Warmoth first before doing any wood work, it's hard to imagine why the hole they drilled doesn't work with the jack they sell for that hole....

David said:
I recently received my new LP flat top body.  I had the body routed with a 1/2" jack hole.  (The little boy in me giggles whenever I type the words "jack hole"). 

Here is the jack I have:  DPJ1 - Switchcraft Brand Deep Panel Mono Jack. To be used with a 1/2" Side Jack Hole.

Here is the problem, the jack is not long enough for me to fasten the bolt in the control cavity-- it does not stick out past the wood.

What can I do?  Did I screw up this order?

Dave, call Rob Rounds at Warmoth after 9 am PST today and discuss it with him. Sorry you're having an issue.

Back