Would you sell out for a million dollars?

jerryjg

I wouldn't sell out, not even for a million dollars, although a million dollars would drastically change my life for the better, so I'd feel  much more comfortable saying I wouldnt sell out for  a hundred thousand . A hundred thou IS a lot of money, and would really go along ways towards helping me to  realise some lifes goals, so I'd be way more confident in saying with absolute  certainty that I wouldn't sell out , not even for ten thousand dollars.
Haveing said  that, I could sure use ten grand right now to pay off some bills and maybe pick up another Warmoth, so I can say  unequivically ,without question at  all, that I will  absolutely positively NOT sell out for a hundred dollars. A man has his pride you know.
Not saying Im not open to discussion on the matter , nothing is written in stone, but ten dollars is entirely out of the quertion!

edit- anyone got 4 dollars for a pack of cigarettes?

What do you mean, exactly, by sell out?  If you're asking if I would accept a million dollar salary for making music, then yes I would.

And cigarettes are up over 6 bucks here since the latest tax hike.

As Tool said:

"All you know about me is what I sold ya, dumbf---.  I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.  I sold my soul to make a record, dipsh--, then you bought one."

But yeah, ditto what dbw said too.

Think about it this way.  I could trade in my current 9-5 job for a job with a record company, playing music for a million bucks.  Maybe you call that selling out but I still have the exact same degree of freedom in my free time, which btw would be much more plentiful and well-funded.  Even if it meant playing in Ashlee Simpson's backup band or some shitety gig like that, being a high-paid professional musician is a dream in every way.

And by the way, you say you would turn it down, but I would bet the farm that if someone actually handed you the contract you wouldn't hesitate to sign.  Very few people would.

I agree with dbw.  It's easy to say you wouldn't do it when there isn't someone standing there with a million dollars. 

Hell, I'd play backstage while the Jonas Brothers pretended to play if you give me six figures and tutor so I could bring my kids.  Personally, I've got other things in life that are a lot more important than any musical idealism I might have.

'Selling out' is a ridiculous teenaged concept. Why would you offer something for sale, be it a record or a concert, if you didn't want people to buy it? Are professional classical musicians all 'sellouts', just playing somebody else's stuff for money? Personally I would take a million dollars backing up the teletubbies, and if anyone criticized that decision they would be an idiot. In fact I'd do it just for the fun of it.

If by selling out you mean betraying my loved ones in some horrible way, then no.  But if you mean getting paid to make music, work on guitars, or do my watercolors, I'd do it in a New York minute.  I wouldn't sacrifice my creative vision to make it more marketable, if that's what you're talking about... partly because I don't think I could ever do a good job painting or writing in a style I don't like, and partly because that would be a big pile of lame. 

tfarny said:
'Selling out' is a ridiculous teenaged concept. Why would you offer something for sale, be it a record or a concert, if you didn't want people to buy it? Are professional classical musicians all 'sellouts', just playing somebody else's stuff for money? Personally I would take a million dollars backing up the teletubbies, and if anyone criticized that decision they would be an idiot. In fact I'd do it just for the fun of it.

Come on you know that's not what people mean by selling out.

Anyway, I think jerry just started this topic so he could post that amusing post...

Oh, I get it now.  :doh: :doh: :doh:  Sorry, my friend Bud distracted me

Sure I would; please foward instructions on how you want me to "sell out" as note with million deposit in my PayPal acct, and I'll get on it tomorrow first thing.

Lucky #007 said:
I agree with dbw.  It's easy to say you wouldn't do it when there isn't someone standing there with a million dollars. 

Hell, I'd play backstage while the Jonas Brothers pretended to play if you give me six figures and tutor so I could bring my kids.  Personally, I've got other things in life that are a lot more important than any musical idealism I might have.

I would do it for free food and a place to stay, and a few bucks here and there.

I would rather play ANY music than work ANY job.

Xplorervoodoo said:
As Tool said:

"All you know about me is what I sold ya, dumbf---.  I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.  I sold my soul to make a record, dipsh--, then you bought one."

But yeah, ditto what dbw said too.

Tool also said that in negotiating their contract they kept negotiating less and less money for themselves to retain creative control.

Interesting.  If the question is, would you give up what you have now to make the same or more money being a pro musician, I'm not actually sure that I would.  The hard part would be being away from family.

My band is in a comfortable spot right now.  We've all got carriers, families, houses, and lives.  And we also do this music thing.  We don't play to big audiences (I think we had about 200 in the crowd last night), but we get a chance to play our stuff and we have a lot of fun because we don't have pressure to perform.

So no - I don't think that I would.

mayfly said:
We've all got carriers...

What are carriers? Like aircraft carriers? 'Cause if you've got an aircraft carrier, that's frickin' cool! :laughing7:

This reminds of an old joke.

MAN:  (to a woman) Would you sleep with me for $10,000,000?

WOMAN:  For 10,000,000?  (pauses to think)  Yes.

MAN:  How about for $100?

WOMAN:  $100?  What kind of woman do you think I am?

MAN:  We've already established what kind of woman you are, now we're negotiating price.

The lesson is selling out is selling out regardless the price.  And FYI, we all would.

GoDrex said:
mayfly said:
We've all got carriers...

What are carriers? Like aircraft carriers? 'Cause if you've got an aircraft carrier, that's frickin' cool! :laughing7:

I would throw some awesome parties if I had an aircraft carrier.

:doh:

Give me a break - I was typing with a squirmy two year old on my lap!  :)

That would be a hell of a party though...

Back