Would you sell out for a million dollars?

Well, yes if Ji Joe decided to make an action figure based on me.  :laughing7:

But If I were in a band that was big, like signed with EMI records big, I'd prolly try and get a signature guitar range, but at that i'd try and slap around (literally slap around) the CEO's of Gibson and get them to one, either lower their prices, or start making some freaking good guitars once in a while. Then profit.

But, i'm not that big, or anywhere near big, or even recognizable as a small state touring band. I'm a play in my room, or jam with friends, or soon enough, local gig type band. So I don't see me selling out anytime soon.  :icon_biggrin:

I need to know what the parameters are before I'd sell out.  What were you thinking of?

I'd like to be on that aircraft carrier too.  We could ride around the world shooting at stuff.  Personally, I'd like to stay in the tropics unless it was to go up north and shoot icebergs.

$1,000.000?   Where do I sign up?  

Hell I'm already selling out for $0.60 a download.

We're all whores.   I mean I understand where you're coming from.  The question is basically would you sell your musical soul in exchange for money.   But, I already sell my soul every single day when I put on a shirt and tie to make ends meet.   So would giving up my musical freedom for money be any worse?    In both cases I'm still left with only making the music I love in my spare time.

So yes, I would sell out.   At least my obituary would read I was a musician first, not just an afterthought shoved in with the other hobbies.

I have an advantage.
My wife sings and has her idea of music. which mostly... fun, and accessibly to everybody.  So I've "sold-out" by playing with her and helping her record her album.  And if she gets to go on tour and make money I'll be right there doing it with her.
Then I'll have the money to fund my stubborn, in-accessible to the masses, punk mentality, i'll-wipe-my-ass-with-your-million-dollars heavy prog-rock band.

Volitions Advocate said:
I have an advantage.
My wife sings and has her idea of music. which mostly... fun, and accessibly to everybody.  So I've "sold-out" by playing with her and helping her record her album.  And if she gets to go on tour and make money I'll be right there doing it with her.
Then I'll have the money to fund my stubborn, in-accessible to the masses, punk mentality, i'll-wipe-my-ass-with-your-million-dollars heavy prog-rock band.

But your indie cred will be shot.

hannaugh said:
If by selling out you mean betraying my loved ones in some horrible way, then no.  But if you mean getting paid to make music, work on guitars, or do my watercolors, I'd do it in a New York minute.  I wouldn't sacrifice my creative vision to make it more marketable, if that's what you're talking about... partly because I don't think I could ever do a good job painting or writing in a style I don't like, and partly because that would be a big pile of lame. 

+1

Volitions Advocate said:
I have an advantage.

Meh. Cheater!  :icon_biggrin:

dbw said:
Volitions Advocate said:
I have an advantage.

But your indie cred will be shot.

Not if my wife takes all the credit for her project.

Lets face it though. I'll never be offered a million dollars.

My rock band actually just won a BOTB saturday night. the officiating judge was all "if i were an A&R guy we'd be talking right now blahblahblah"  We just showed up to play.  I dont need all the fluff.  And I dont take it seriously.

Back