Wood/Finish question for my first build

Zaryt

Hey! I'm building a Warmoth Mustang with some custom wiring etc, but I can't work out what wood/finish to go for. I want something like this image below (I know this is reliced and stuff but a similar colour) I cant work out whether to go with Alder or Ash, Clear or Vintage tint. Does anyone have any ideas? I couldnt really find any clear images online

Attachments

• mustang natural.jpg
    mustang natural.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 140
That looks more like alder rather than ash. It looks like it has some kind of tint to it and then reliced to make it look aged.

Yep - I think that's ash.  and not a nice piece of ash either...

Looks like it's just got a pecan stain on it then cleared over that.

Mayfly said:
Yep - I think that's ash.  and not a nice piece of ash either...

Looks like it's just got a pecan stain on it then cleared over that.
You said ash  :laughing8: :laughing8:

I'll give you another ...
A low grade of poplar (aka Tulip) lightly stained, covered with couple coats of poly, then reliced.

Looks like there was a solid coat, then after the builder stripped it, realized it was not high quality and then went at it.  It looks interesting, and a good effort, but probably should be solid coat, sea foam would look good with that pickguard.

rick2 said:
I'll give you another ...
A low grade of poplar (aka Tulip) lightly stained, covered with couple coats of poly, then reliced.

Looks like there was a solid coat, then after the builder stripped it, realized it was not high quality and then went at it.  It looks interesting, and a good effort, but probably should be solid coat, sea foam would look good with that pickguard.

OH,OH,OH...Mr. Cotter, I was gonna say Poplar. Poplar is the wood of a million faces. Ya just have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Princess. Stir up some tint, a tiny speck of nitro for binder and some reducer and slap that toner on it to taste then clear it. Yummy.

Currently in the Warmoth showcase. Vintage Tint Gloss is the finish. Vintage Tint Satin might get you close.

MUP163A.jpg

The body could be a few things maybe even pine.

For a first guitar project (Warmoth or otherwise) alder is a safe bet. It's hard enough without being hard on tools, it's easy to grain fill if you need to fill it at all, it's not oily, it's easy to paint, not too extreme as far as weight. It's not especially expensive either.  Most pieces don't look too bad clear-coated, though sometimes a little ordinary. It's just good all-around. Other woods have their own pros and cons.

In your case I'd just go alder and have warmoth gloss vintage tint and call it a day

I really like the result of vintage tint over alder! I built one of my 5-string Jazz basses with that finish and I love the way it looks! Alder usually doesn't have a very interesting grain, but if you can find one, that color really helps to highlight it, in my opinion.

Michael

Back