wood control plates

Dark Matter

Does anybody know where i could find rosewood control plates? I've been able to find knobs and truss rod covers but not the plates.

will most likely be either a DIY project or a custom job by a woodworker. since you control cover will be made from wood, and wood will require you to have a thicker cover than one made from plastic or metal, you'll most likely need to deepen the cavity lip where it mounts to accommodate the added thickness

you have the control cavity cover plate you need a duplicate made from? if you, you should be able to find someone locally who is good with a

- thickness sander to fine tune the thickness and flatness of the new coverplate
- bandsaw to rough cut the new coverplate
- router table to use the original as a pattern to duplicate the new coverplate in wood

with the cost of the wood and shop time, you're probably looking at around $100 to have someone make this for you

all the best,

R

I have a local shop (Capitol City Lumber) that has veneers from a variety of exotic woods, including rosewood and bubinga.  I just picked up some purpleheart veneer, which I am going to try to put on a 'parchment' (single-ply thin plastic) pickguard, so it will match my body wood.  The veneer is quite thin (10 mil).  Seems like it will be easy to cut/shape.  If it glues alright to the pickguard, and I can put a decent lacquer finish on it, should make a nice 'wood' pickguard.

Email roger@thgknobs.com or visit his website http://www.thgknobs.com/
the control plates are not on the website, but he told me that he can custom make just about any kind of guitar part out of your wood of choice. I meant to post his details in the 'wood pickguard' topic a while ago, but I kind of lost track of that one.

dm251z said:
I have a local shop (Capitol City Lumber) that has veneers from a variety of exotic woods, including rosewood and bubinga.  I just picked up some purpleheart veneer, which I am going to try to put on a 'parchment' (single-ply thin plastic) pickguard, so it will match my body wood.  The veneer is quite thin (10 mil).  Seems like it will be easy to cut/shape.  If it glues alright to the pickguard, and I can put a decent lacquer finish on it, should make a nice 'wood' pickguard.

how are you planning to account for the added thickness of the pickguard? it's going to stick out beyond the back of the body, and constantly snag against things if you don't also adjust the mounting lip deeper into the body. if you have a cavity cover hole mounting template and a router you can do this cleanly if you're really careful to line-up the template ... but it's far too easy to make this look like a sloppy mess if you're not careful and accurate in your woodworking

all the best,

R

[/quote]

how are you planning to account for the added thickness of the pickguard? it's going to stick out beyond the back of the body, and constantly snag against things if you don't also adjust the mounting lip deeper into the body. if you have a cavity cover hole mounting template and a router you can do this cleanly if you're really careful to line-up the template ... but it's far too easy to make this look like a sloppy mess if you're not careful and accurate in your woodworking
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you are thinking will stick out beyond the back of the body.  I can assure you, nothing will stick out of the back of the body. :icon_scratch:

Regarding thickness.  I put the calipers on a standard 3-ply pickguard, and it is actually thicker than the combined thickness of a standard parchment pickguard + wood veneer...so no additional thickness needs to counted for. 

I think this will work...but I'm still not sure I have the skill to do it on the first try...but I've got enough veneer to try a few times.  I'll post picks (unless all of my attempts look like crap).

Back