Wilkinson Scimitar6

Fat Pete

Here we go then; another test for your patience!

Presenting the Wilkinson Scimitar6. If you have something weirder, I'd like to see it (I really would like to see it).

Visually, this was intended as some kind of Teisco Spectrum/early Yamaha/Mosrite/Hagstrom mash-up, plus some Fender Swinger/Musiclander thrown in, obviously. Of course it doesn't look much like any of them.

As justification for another build, I came up with the idea of it serving double duty with a 2x P90 and a standard Strat configuration. Hence the threaded inserts for the scratchplate screws and the 21 fret neck to make swapping easier. It's not really quite either in a conventional way.

'Standard' config:

VVgcRIO.jpg

mPO9fSJ.jpg

'Alternative' config:

96EDsxt.jpg

B7Mjteg.jpg

I had Allan at Catswhisker Pickups make me a pair of tapped P90s with flush pole pieces. Obtained some undrilled covers and modified them.

CpB9fp0.jpg

Q73M8oG.jpg

The Creamery Sonic 60s - alnico 5 version. I don't have a Strat around to make a direct comparison, but they do the job when I'm after that sound -  it's not like I'd want anything too 'vintage correct'. Really beautifully made chrome plated brass covers.

Gcj4Aax.jpg

4f0DGyC.jpg

Unexpected sports field ad effect. Not noticeable apart from in this pic.

g305D8Z.jpg

These are perfectly normal names for guitar controls, they're just not usually labelled.

Grunt/squeal indicates pull up for extra windings; down is tapped for standard P90. I like individual interactive volume controls with P90s.

D5XJnrm.jpg

Standard 3-way toggle for neck/bridge, 'doctor' = pull up to switch on middle p/up in any position. No, I can't have middle only.

PKVy08a.jpg

Important comma, Hipshots and almost quartersawn grain pattern.

LwbxSst.jpg

orKSkdU.jpg

Ziricote (all the rage right now) and azurite malachite dots up close and overexposed - I would have liked a bit more green in the dots but I guess the azurite won out in this batch. They're still very nice though - depending on the light, sometimes almost invisible, sometimes a really strong blue. I failed to take a photo that shows the whole fingerboard properly - apologies.

ARBOvU9.jpg

Shocking I know, but there's no DR6 neckplate on this one. I think it just maybe has enough branding already. There is a regular, plain chrome plate on there, but it's hidden to protect the vulnerable.

7vMCo5t.jpg

And (almost) finally, the real reason for this whole build - just so i could do these trick mirror shots.

SsXqjLv.jpg

QEBxRez.jpg

dMz0NXH.jpg

I now realise this project isn't actually quite finished. I still have to cut a piece of foam for the scratchplate case(!)

iREs5AG.jpg

ANY guitar with the word "vituperative" on the controls, has GOT to be badass.

Ya know... I have never been a big fan of the Musiclander body shape (like someone butcher-cut a Strat something terrible). Nor am I drawn to blue on a guitar (or a car) for that matter. But DAYUM... I would OWN that one for sure!!

Fat Pete... you really have an eye for aesthetics. Love the originality with the scratchguard and labeling... really, the whole package. Bravo!! "THIS ONE GOES TO ELEVEN!!"  :eek:ccasion14:

I *do* have an unused arrowhead collecting dust. Hmmmm....

Every aspect of that guitar exceeds ludicrous speed and jumps straight to plaid. Your creations always impress but you've outdone yourself here. On a scale of "Lamesville" to "Bitchin'", the Scimitar6 scores a solid "Way Bitchin'".
:headbang:

That's really an amazing guitar. I love the squeal/grunt labels. Heck, I like all the labels.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Very nice! Your control labels alone are worth the price of admission!  :icon_thumright:

Brilliant theme work on this guitar.

Who did the labelling? Getting the knobs and pickguards custom labelled like that is unheard of in non pro circles for builds.

Re-Pete said:
Brilliant theme work on this guitar.

Who did the labelling? Getting the knobs and pickguards custom labelled like that is unheard of in non pro circles for builds.

Thanks!

I designed the pickguards (in CorelDraw) and they were printed and cut by Tim at Scratch-it! - The Original Scratchplates Company here in the UK. They usually do this sort of stuff:

flames_011.jpg

...but they work with very close print to cut tolerances so the labelling is dead-on.

The knobs are this cheap spun aluminium 'equipment' type.:

lz0qfkx.jpg

The labels on these are simply waterslide decals that I printed and applied myself. I think they work well with the vibe I was after.

L4xQX5z.jpg

Brilliant build. I have been thinking on an off about the musiclander body knowing how awesome it can be is inspiring.  I really like the ascetic of your builds this one is over the top.  The reason I am curious about that body is weight so for a question how much does the completed guitar weigh.

Incredible. Fantastic attention to detail, and the control labeling is inspirational. Truly dancing about architecture :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Incredible. Fantastic attention to detail, and the control labeling is inspirational. Truly dancing about architecture :laughing7:

Thanks - and congratulations on your 20k! (19,999 posts as I write this).

Thanks! Never considered writing a book, but if the average novel is 80K words, I've probably written several here  :laughing7:

Zhaezzy said:
...The reason I am curious about that body is weight so for a question how much does the completed guitar weigh.

Thanks for prompting me to obtain some scales and weigh all my guitars, I've been meaning to get around to it for a while.

This one comes in at 7 lbs 1 ozs / 3.18 kg (in the 3 single coil configuration). The body was very light, even for a Musiclander, at just 3 lbs 0 ozs / 1.36 kg. This is the lightest guitar in my collection - though it's actually only 4 oz / 0.14 kg lighter than my Corvette (sonic blue Tele), despite the body on that weighing 4 lbs 4 ozs / 1.93 kg - illustrates how much difference hardware can make.

Back