Why?

line6man

Epic Member
This body is Alder with a Maple top, but it's painted solid black.
Am I missing something obvious, or does that seem pointless to have a laminate top on a solid finished body?
Maybe it's thick enough to affect the tone a bit?

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=ps3636&Body=2&Path=Body

Could have happened a small defect while making, not enough for it become useless, but enough for not be so pretty... and could also have appeared some weird mineral streaks after working on the wood...

and the writer could have made a mistake :)

NonsenseTele said:
Could have happened a small defect while making, not enough for it become useless, but enough for not be so pretty... and could also have appeared some weird mineral streaks after working on the wood...

and the writer could have made a mistake :)
That's what I'm thinking.  Once completely routed and sanded, it might have been kind of ugly.

Doesn't Gibson do that as well?

Les Pauls have a solid maple cap which effects the tone more than the skinny lam tops that warmoth uses for strats.

a bunch of wolfgang standards had flame maple tops, and the ones deemed to ugly to dance with... er i mean, too ugly to dye, they painted black and gold and a few other solid colors.

OR it could be like the soloist body i almost bought a month or two ago that was basswood, but marked down because it had a huge knot on the upper horn. didn't bother me, but not something most people would want a clear finish over  :dontknow:

rockskate4x said:
Les Pauls have a solid maple cap which effects the tone more than the skinny lam tops that warmoth uses for strats.

IIRC, Warmoth does 1/8" laminate tops. That is too thin to have any legitimate effect on tone, isn't it?

Are you talking on strats or LPs?  Maybe on Strats, but it is a lot thicker than that on the LPs.  You may be thinking of the DLs which have a thin second laminate of Quilt Maple over a layer of regular maple, but it is still all maple.

Lucky #007 said:
Are you talking on strats or LPs?  Maybe on Strats, but it is a lot thicker than that on the LPs.  You may be thinking of the DLs which have a thin second laminate of Quilt Maple over a layer of regular maple, but it is still all maple.

Strats...
They have only a 1/8" laminate, don't they?

That body does have a maple top under the paint. I'm sure it was just an aesthetics thing.

Back