Why Stereo?

rhythm

Just curious as this is one of the last two pieces I need for my build................................. but which jack to use?

If I just want to play a guitar through your normal effects and amps why would I want to use a stereo jack on my Strat build?

In non technical terms, why would you choose to use a stereo over a mono? What are the advantages and what possibilities does it allow?

Does Fender use stereo jacks for any of its 'off the shelf' models or for any custom shop offerings for that matter?

:icon_scratch:
Which to use?

I was told mono.
Stereo, which my dad vaguely told me about, is like hearing a through headphones a guitar in one speaker and drums in another. I don't think you need a stereo because of that.

rhythm said:
If I just want to play a guitar through your normal effects and amps why would I want to use a stereo jack on my Strat build?

You wouldn't.
'Stereo' jacks are often used as simple switches to activate and de-activate the battery in an active pickup or pre-amp system.  The second pole of the switch connects the battery -ve to ground, completing the circuit, allowing current to flow, and thus switching the active electronics on.  When you remove the jack, the batt disconnects and switches off the electronics. Thus if you leave the cable plugged in on an actve guitar the batt would run down, even if you are not playing.

Some people use stereo jacks to run two amps or combinations of pickup systems, for example if you had regular magnetic pups you could send to one amp, and if you had a piezo saddle system, you could send to another amp.  You'd need a stereo 'Y' splitter cable to achieve this though.

if you just want standard passive electronics go for a mono jack.  (you could get a stereo jack and not use the second pole and get the same results...up to you)

Hope that helps.
:eek:ccasion14:

Thanks guys.

In that case I will just go for the mono. The only thing I am doing that is a little exotic is a blender pot, but that isnt really an issue for stereo.

So, as I am fitting it to a gold jack cup, is this ok for my strat build?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWITCHCRAFT-1-4-INPUT-JACK-WITH-NUT-AND-WASHER-GOLD_W0QQitemZ330268558859QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330268558859&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks fellas.

What Jim said.  But just to add a touch there, that is what turns the batteries on in a pedal.  If you'd like to see the wiring look up how cloned pedals are wired.  For things like an active preamp in a bass, this is what is used for the on/off switch.
Patrick

Have your instrument be all mono, but if your amp has more than one speaker, stereo effects are cool, but that is done with a stereo effects loop.  The instrument is still mono.  All that being said, I have a Rickenbacker that has two outputs on it.  One is stereo, one is mono.  The stereo jack allows the neck and bridge pickups to be split and go to two different amps.

Back