Why no String-Through Body Mounting on VIP?

Garf

Hi...

I've been pricing up a few body options lately, and I certainly like the VIP... I also like the look of a TOM bridge, with String-Through body mounting..

However, this doesn't seem to be an option on the VIP... or any carved top body for that matter...

Can I ask why? Is there any specific reason why this can't be done on a VIP body? The warmoth site simply says:

On Flat Top bodies only we offer a recessed rout for our Gotoh Tune-O-Matic or TonePros Tune-O-Matic with a choice of 3 string-through patterns for $15

Thanks

This may not be something that Warmoth believes in—I'm not saying it's definitely the specific reason why they don't offer it as a common option—but many people don't think tune-o-matics with a string-through design work properly on carved tops. The break angle over the bridge become obscenely drastic and it can be hard to get the strings to clear the bridge cleanly, without resting on the back of the bridge.
There's also the issue of getting the neck pocket angle right. You'll note that Warmoth don't actually offer the tune-o-matic with string-through without recessing the tune-o-matic slightly, the idea being it can be used on a flat top guitar without having to angle the neck pocket, like a tune-o-matic and stopbar would require. With a carved top you have to have the pocket angle to some extent anyway, and I suspect Warmoth wouldn't want to work out different angles for different bridges and different top styles. It's much easier (read: cheaper) to limit what you'll do to only include things which match well to the more drastic pocket angle which the carved top already dictates.

Though sixstring is right, Warmoth seem up for trying most things so long as you pay the extra costs.

Back