Who needs string tees?

I forgot to mention that I already had these tuners, and had been meaning to try this for literally years. Glad I finally got around to it!

If anyone does it, I'd recommend a drill press jigged up for consistency of layout; the results will be a lot nicer than mine. I used a Stewmac tuner jig for the spacing, but if I'd had the press it would look a lot more professional!

I have steinberger gearless tuners on my tele headstock and require no string trees because they pull the string down into the post..  :blob7:

A set of staggered Sperzels tuners and Earvana nuts together will not require any string tree (Strat straight peghead, 1-11/16" nut width, compound 10"-16" radius, SS6105 fretwire, works with both .009 and .010 string gauges). Trees were not needed with Graphtech graphite or Corian nuts either (factory installed by Warmoth) before I removed them to fit Earvana nuts.

One reason to avoid trees above and beyond cosmetic considerations is that they add an extra contact in the string path. With a tremolo, this has to impact on tuning stability whether you like it or not, even just a tiny bit. Better avoid them if you can, but include one with your order just in case you end up needing one.

Back