Who knew Mahogany could have such awesome figuring?

DocNrock

Master Member
This may be old news to you all who have been around for a while, but I had no idea there could be such awesome figuring in mahogany.  Check out this Ultimate Choice mahogany lam top:

Beautiful piece! Every now and then a mahogany piece catches my eye with some subtle figuring. You never really expect it. But that one is awesome!

That is a sharp piece. Don't see figure like that very often in Mahogany.

This guy's in the showcase right now to give you an idea on a body:

gb53A.jpg

That is a great example, Drewfx. I almost hate it when I see something that beautiful...and it's not in my collection.  :laughing7:

I have a Mahogany Burl classical acoustic from Yairi Alvarez, and it has some amazing figure to it.  Those are some sharp piece there.
Patrick

We forget that not so very long ago the 'Hog was considered an "exotic".  I knew a guy who went to Congo before current unrest, helping on a construction project. They were using 2"x12"x16' slabs of Mahogany ... as forms for pouring concrete. Yah. Concrete Forms. Oh well, my Great Uncle built a nice little retirement business selling Cottonwood to Japan for musical instruments.  Yup, here it's a weed tree.

I saw the same thing Oaxaca Mexico .  It was either a forest of ebony or rosewood and they used it for firewood!

Hardwood burns slow and hot. Makes great fuel. You use what you have available, right? Here, we wanna burn Oak or Maple. Pine works, but only briefly.

True ... Here we burn lots of maple ... Besides maple I've been burning locust and apple cause it's free.  To me maple is just so ubiquitous ... I guess out in Washington they are burning alder

DocNrock said:
This may be old news to you all who have been around for a while...

My second Warmoth has a burl top, figured sides and back, it's a stunning body.

attachment.php

It's not often but I've seen a few pieces of figured mahogany over the years, my favorite is a Gibson Flying V with a flamed mahogany body & neck, a beautiful guitar.

DocNrock said:
This may be old news to you all who have been around for a while, but I had no idea there could be such awesome figuring in mahogany.  Check out this Ultimate Choice mahogany lam top:

:headbang:

I've been through the configurator a few times with this piece of mahogany.  At least in the computer-generated image, a blue burst looks awesome on it.   

Back