Who do you wish you could have seen play live...??

AutoBat said:
ThtOthrPrsn said:
According to toolband.com they're working on new material, which usually means a new album, which usually means a tour.

REALLY?! Then my christmas just came early! I can't wait!!!  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

ThtOthrPrsn said:
AutoBat said:
ThtOthrPrsn said:
According to toolband.com they're working on new material, which usually means a new album, which usually means a tour.

REALLY?! Then my christmas just came early! I can't wait!!!  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Might be an early Christmas, but probably for 2015, ha. They've been 'Working on new material' for about 4 years already. I saw them 2011 in Melbourne and they said they were 'experimenting with ideas', haha! Apparently they're all working on too many projects separately to focus on Tool. 

I grew up in the '80s and started going to concerts by seeing Iron Maiden on the Number of The Best tour. After that I saw just about every band that came through so I can't complain, really. With that said, the one band from the 80's that I never saw was

Van Halen with David Lee Roth. I've seen Van Halen 5 times and I've seen David Lee Roth 5 times, but I haven't seen them together. I skipped going to this recent tour that rolled through here earlier this year. I prefer to keep the image of the young Van Halen in my head.

Another that I would have killed to see would be Stevie Ray Vaughan.

MULLY

KaiserSoze said:
but you were in the wrong decade, part of the world, musical level, etc.
I'm assuming you're talking about dead people...

Dimebag Darrell

Cliff Burton

Peter Steele

Ronnie James Dio

Randy Rhoads

Eric Carr

Layne Staley

I've actually been very lucky to have seen most of my favourite artists and many more play live.  :icon_thumright:
Even thou I'm downunder in Australia.
Have seen many mentioned already.
Had front row seat, right in the middle of Bob Marley concert. Didn't need smoke'o, as it was surely supplied by the roadies, or others.
Joints just getting passed down the rows, in all directions. Was a great concert.  :icon_biggrin:

Ironically ..... at the The Beach Boys concert, it bucketed down with rain. BTW that was crap !!

Was to young to see Led Zeppelin in 1972 in Australia.  :sad:
But later on got to see Robert Plant 3 times, Plant and Page once & Them Crooked Vultures.  :toothy10:

So on that note ….
I would have loved to have seen.

Led Zeppelin

Frank Zappa

OH .... and BTW.
This is me in 40 years time, debating the same subject, in a nursing home .......  :laughing7:

file_zps67df7283.jpg

Wish I had seen the Allman Bros with Duane...
Rory Gallagher
Hendrix
Roy Buchanan
Les Paul

The Beatles in the Cavern Club
Hendrix at Monterey
Buffalo Springfield at Whiskey A Go Go L.A.
Woodstock 1969 (just the whole f**king thing!)
The Beatles Rooftop gig at Apple  (does this count?  :icon_scratch: )
SRV at Austin City Limits
Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs at Sunbury
Slade at Reading Festival (1981)..
Status Quo at Hordern Pavilion 1975 (oh wait - I DID see that...  :icon_biggrin: )
Sex Pistols, Marquee Club (Matlock, not Sid)
The Clash, Marquee Club...
Sex Pistols (the older) at Brixton Academy...
The Angels at Narara (how I DIDN'T get to that I don't know!)
AC/DC at Sydney Showground (last ever outdoor gig at that venue. Music could be heard miles away)
original Pink Floyd lineup at UFO club.
original lineup of Allman Bros
a young ZZ Top in Texas somewhere..
Muddy Waters, Chicago
Howling Wolf, Chicago
Robert Johnson, Mississippi delta somewhere....
Ledbelly, dockside somewhere.

Gee I've missed a lot of good gigs.... *sigh*  :sad1:

Updown said:
Ironically ..... at the The Beach Boys concert, it bucketed down with rain. BTW that was crap !!

Was that the Sydney show with both Dennis & Brian Wilson in the band? Shambolic show. Everyone in the crowd singing in the rain, passing round the bottles of liquor smuggled in to keep warm.... great event. Singing about "Californian Girls" in that weather was surreal.

Waters/Gilmour/Wright/Mason line-up of Pink Floyd, sadly now impossible. I've been lucky enough to see the individual members plenty of times, but all together would be something else.

I was gutted to miss Gilmour's On An Island tour, due to injury.

Madonna, back when she still played the hits, and played them properly.

Another one: At the drive-in

They did come to Australia recently for Splendour in the Grass festival, but I was in the wrong part of the country at the time. So again, missed out. My sister was working as band manager second hand for the event and saw the band play from side of stage. She was even nice enough to call me during the set so I could experience the awe through terrible phone quality connection. Real nice. So jealous.

Dang, I did see almost all of them, except - Duane Allman & Jimi Hendrix. I was quite the phenomivore early-70's to 1987 when I left Austin. All the other ones, Garcia, Clapton, Beck, Santana etc. I did see. Of the six times I've seen McLaughlin+, three of them he destroyed my mind for days, weeks.... the first band I saw was Grand Funk Railroad; the second was the original Mahavishnu Orchestra. I didn't sleep for five days afterwards, no artificial stims needed. And this band, whew:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AlDiMeolaJohnMcLaughlinPacoDeLucia1983-09-30BostonOperaHouseMA.asx

Morse does a 20 minute opening set, then the gloves come off.

StübHead said:
Dang, I did see almost all of them, except - Duane Allman & Jimi Hendrix.

Same here, but I got to say the best show I ever saw was Steve Morse in a little hole-in-the-wall in Augusta called Xanadu in 1982. There was about 50 people in the whole place and he played for 2+ hours and just got better and better as the night went on!

I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet, but I really wish I had seen Danny Gatton as well!

StübHead said:
early-70's to 1987 when I left Austin.

That's about when they stopped making good music anyway. My parents were right about that, they just got the dates wrong.

It's kind of weird what familiarity does to perceptions. When I lived in Tallahassee, I was friends with a band called Crosscut Saw - I saw them dozens of times. Pat Ramsey, frontman and harp, was the best harmonica player I ever heard. He learned from listening to guitars and sax players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZSf34iijU

Sadly, passed away due to "lifestyle issues."

Julien Kasper was the ridiculous hotshot kid guitarist, now a professor at Berklee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwZSf34iijU

So when we moved to Austin in 1980, by chance we moved into a little dive duplex, next door to Fran Christina, who was the Fabulous Thunderbird's drummer. Jimmie Vaughan was their guitarist. Angela Strehli & Lou Ann Barton lived up around the corner, it was a weird little cul de sac cut off when the interstate went through - odd people wandering around at 3am with Stratocasters. When I heard the Thunderbirds, I was like, "well, they're OK - but they're no Crosscut Saw." And SRV - "Little Stevie"- was Jimmie Vaughan's kind of sketchy little brother - his wife threw him out more often than not, he made the round of couches to sleep on. Couldn't live in his car, cause he didn't have one. Women hid their purses....

If I had had to make a choice of "most likely to succeed" it would've been David Grissom or David Murray, if I has to make a choice of mostly like to die drunk in a ditch it would've been SRV. Johnny Winter was a doddering old wreck, Eric Johnson was just weird as hell - UFO's, Egypt, psychic beams, all that. And "Little Charlie" Sexton was mostly famous for what Lou Ann Barton did to him when he was 12... fickle finger of fate indeed.

Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott!!
saw them with John Sykes singing a couple of times, which was actually very good!! just not the real thing!

other than that... every good current prog band/artist! I am so pissed off that none of these bands are ever booked in the Dallas area.. or something remotely close! I know it's not the artist, but the local promoters.. it is always west coast, east coast, Canada and Chicago. I would love to see one of the Portnoy/Morse projects, such as Transatlantic or Flying colors, but that will probably never happen... because apparently the promoters assume that people here only like Lynurd Skynnert type music...

And again. The Mars Volta.

Was 15 at the time and in no way old enough to even sneak in to a 18+ gig. Had to wait until I was almost 17..... :laughing7:

Pink Floyd, most of all. And I wish I'd seen Mark Knopfler play before he got so seemingly averse to gigging.

Back