White Pearloid Option For Skull Inlay

AcrylicSuperman

I realize that this specific inlay likely has a very niche market and there is likely a reason that I don't know as to why this material is not used for this inlay.

I couldn't help but notice that under inlay options, it shows that the skull and cross bones inlay, for example, can be done in Black, Moon Glow, Black Pearloid, Gold Pearloid and Corian. I definitely understand why Corian is used and I am assuming some of these other options are likely custom options as they are not available in neck construction drop down menus.

But it got me thinking that if Black Pearloid and Gold Pearloid can be used, then why not White Pearloid? Might be the only thing stopping me from making a metal machine of doom.

stratamania said:
Perhaps it is a bug on the new website that it is missing as an option?

Maybe. I'm not actually sure. I don't think white pearloid was an option for this inlay even before the new site. There certainly seem to be more options now though.

AcrylicSuperman said:
stratamania said:
Perhaps it is a bug on the new website that it is missing as an option?

Maybe. I'm not actually sure. I don't think white pearloid was an option for this inlay even before the new site. There certainly seem to be more options now though.

I cannot recall whether that was on the old site. Might be worth making a query via Warmoth sales in case it is a missing option.

It used to be available in white pearloid.  The new site removed it as an option.  When I e-mailed WM to request the skull ONLY on the 12th fret and none of the other bones, I asked for white pearloid then, too, but still got white corian.

Doesn't look bad at all in the end, though.

Well, I got an answer from Warmoth. Despite inlay options on the site stating otherwise, here is what Spike had to say.

"Thank you so much for taking the time to check in with us.

I’m afraid that the Skull & Bones inlays are limited to the Black and White Corian and the Moon Glow materials.

We’ve never had that inlay available in any of the other materials.

I wish I had better news to share.

Spike

Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.

Customer Service Representative"

First off, I want to thank Spike for his swift reply. Kudos to you, kind sir!

But second, Warmoth, don't you think it's about time you did? I'm clearly not the only one who would like this option.

Its not something I have an interest in having as an option personally but perhaps there may be a technical reason why it is not offered for that particular skull and x bones layout.

stratamania said:
Its not something I have an interest in having as an option personally but perhaps there may be a technical reason why it is not offered for that particular skull and x bones layout.

I'm sure thats probably the case. I imagine black and white are a paste of some kind that they can spread into the route and sand flush when cured, smoothing out with sanding the fretboard. I could be wrong, but that's my educated guess.

Or the plain material is easier to work with in some way.

AcrylicSuperman said:
stratamania said:

I'm sure thats probably the case. I imagine black and white are a paste of some kind that they can spread into the route and sand flush when cured, smoothing out with sanding the fretboard. I could be wrong, but that's my educated guess.

Or the plain material is easier to work with in some way.

They probably are not pastes but the pearloid may not look as wanted when sanded to conform to the radius I would suspect.

Back