Which Wood for H/H Strat with Maple/Maple Strat Neck?

SustainerPlayer said:
But yes. To be fair. Basswood has a better "ding"-factor than the other woods.  :icon_biggrin:

The "ding factor" is highly over-rated, and only used as a sales point by those who would try to sell you something you may or may not want (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mr. Smith). I mean, why would you want a neck or body that responded to a particular frequency? What if you wanted to play in a different key, or would like an even response to what you play? Talk about a nightmare for Mr. Engineer when you go to record.

Think about it. Would you want to string up a big tuning fork? That would be whack. Every once in a while you'd hit a note that would make the thing go batshit while the rest of the time it would sound dead.

Yes, just like all our favorite uncolored speaker cabs, mics, amps...

Basswood is one I have not tried yet. I might have to put it on my list, I think I need a Korina body first though :)

OK, let me throw a curve at this discussion. What about Swamp Ash with Humbuckers? Would it be too bright for a classic rock/blues sound? Anyone have experience with this? The reason I ask is that I built a Warmoth Swamp Ash Tele with Lollar T-Specials that absolutely sings, plugged in or not. Best guitar I've built so far and I love the natural finish. Would this be comparing apples to oranges or would Ash work for this HH Start configuration? Anything I need to watch out for?

Cagey said:
SustainerPlayer said:
But yes. To be fair. Basswood has a better "ding"-factor than the other woods.  :icon_biggrin:

The "ding factor" is highly over-rated, and only used as a sales point by those who would try to sell you something you may or may not want (yeah, I'm looking at you, Mr. Smith). I mean, why would you want a neck or body that responded to a particular frequency? What if you wanted to play in a different key, or would like an even response to what you play? Talk about a nightmare for Mr. Engineer when you go to record.

Think about it. Would you want to string up a big tuning fork? That would be whack. Every once in a while you'd hit a note that would make the thing go batshit while the rest of the time it would sound dead.

You are out of tune!

Ding-factor meaning = getting dings easier  :sign13:

MJRiley said:
OK, let me throw a curve at this discussion. What about Swamp Ash with Humbuckers? Would it be too bright for a classic rock/blues sound? Anyone have experience with this? The reason I ask is that I built a Warmoth Swamp Ash Tele with Lollar T-Specials that absolutely sings, plugged in or not. Best guitar I've built so far and I love the natural finish. Would this be comparing apples to oranges or would Ash work for this HH Start configuration? Anything I need to watch out for?

Every last thing you do will make some amount of difference. The trick is guessing/predicting how much difference it will make.

On the list of things involving electric guitar construction that don't involve appearance and will be noticeable to humans, body wood species is pretty low in the pecking order. Even then, it's unpredictable because every cut of wood, even from the same tree, is going to be slightly different.

The thing to keep in mind is that all choices reduce to some amount of subtraction. Contrary to popular belief, nothing you do will "add" to the tone. There's no such thing as a "resonant" electric guitar. They're solid and heavy and have varying amounts of flexibility. An electric guitar is basically a string holder, so the best you can hope for is a combination that doesn't bleed off frequencies that you would rather stayed in the mix.

So, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It's like worrying about the afterlife or what your cat is doing while you're away. You're out of control, and that's the end of it. You pays yer munny and you makes yer choice. Maybe it'll be magical, or maybe it'll end up on eBay. You can't tell ahead of time.

Back