Which body is right? (Velocity vs telecaster)

NoDa75

Hello all!

(This is my first post on the forum so bear with me :laughing7:)

I currently have a warmoth Stratocaster (which I love to death), but I've been making plans for a new guitar. I was specifically thinking a hollow/carved top telecaster (because I think a tele body is the best looking guitar ever created  :glasses10:) with two p90s and a wraparound bridge. The issue arose when I played a telecaster for the first time yesterday. It was WAY bigger than I expected. I am a pretty small guy (5'10") and am used to a Strat. I also began to realize that contours are important to me for long-term comfort. So I began to look for an alternative. I stumbled upon the velocity, and did some reading about it. I not the biggest fan of the style, but maybe it will grow on me if I get it. People (specifically you people) say that it is really small, even compared to a Strat. Maybe that is a good thing, though, as I feel the Tele is has a bit too much useless mass. My question is, how much smaller is the Velocity compare to a telecaster? Does anyone have a photo? Would it be much more comfortable than a carved top tele? (Also is the 7/8 tele a viable option?)

On a side note, if I did go with the tele, has anyone been able to custom order a chambered(not hollow)/carved top tele? Then I could have the beautiful carved top, with the reduced weight, and a tummy contour.

Thanks,

Noah

Here's a quick overlay that should be acccurate to a pixel or so. Dang, now I want the velocity cutaway in a soloist. It'd be a lot like a Zion Radicaster from the late 80's/early 90's

Attachments

• velotele.png
    velotele.png
    486.1 KB · Views: 280
swarfrat said:
Here's a quick overlay that should be acccurate to a pixel or so. Dang, now I want the velocity cutaway in a soloist. It'd be a lot like a Zion Radicaster from the late 80's/early 90's

Thanks! That would be an interesting body style.

In case you are not aware it is also possible to order a Tele body with the various "comfort" contours.

stratamania said:
In case you are not aware it is also possible to order a Tele body with the various "comfort" contours.

Yes, but that would only work for JUST the chambered, carved, or solid. The hollow carved top is the one I was thinking about buying, but it has no contours available. That is why I was wondering if I could custom order a chambered carved top to have the reduced weight and the contour.

NoDa75 said:
stratamania said:

Yes, but that would only work for JUST the chambered, carved, or solid. The hollow carved top is the one I was thinking about buying, but it has no contours available. That is why I was wondering if I could custom order a chambered carved top to have the reduced weight and the contour.

Perhaps contact Warmoth sales and they will be able to say whether that combo is possible.

I'm in the process of a Velocity build.  This might help with the dimensional comparison.  For what it's worth, the Velocity is very comfy to hold and play.

Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

rauchman said:
I'm in the process of a Velocity build.  This might help with the dimensional comparison.  For what it's worth, the Velocity is very comfy to hold and play.

Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

Thanks a lot for the photo! I still don't know if I'm sold on the velocity styling vs the telecaster. I really want to like it...

I have a Velocity body being built now. I chose it because Teles are generally uncomfortable, and the Velocity is more compact, with the contours I like.

NoDa75 said:
rauchman said:

Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

Thanks a lot for the photo! I still don't know if I'm sold on the velocity styling vs the telecaster. I really want to like it...

Just think about it as a Dali telecaster.

Mayfly said:
NoDa75 said:
rauchman said:

Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

Haha yes!

Mayfly said:
NoDa75 said:
rauchman said:

Velocity-and-Tele.jpg

I got yer Dollycaster right here.

9149a8eef1690f8d6ad3c69ef0f2f60f--dolly-parton-marriage-famous-musicians.jpg

I've said this before, but I thought the Velocity was fugly when it was first released.  Then, it kind of grew on me then I bought one.  I have to say, it is the one guitar I reach for the most when playing around the house.  Very comfortable, not bulky, can easy play it on an office chair or couch without having to contort yourself.  I have both a carved top and flat top and much prefer the carved as far as aesthetics go.  The carve isn't all that drastic, but adds a lot of dimension to the looks and that's important for a small-ish body.

Okay - I was intrigued enough to do a mockup. Introducing - the Solocity!

Attachments

• solocity.png
    solocity.png
    614.1 KB · Views: 334
swarfrat said:
Okay - I was intrigued enough to do a mockup. Introducing - the Solocity!

Hmmm  :glasses10:. Interesting, I like how much sharper it looks than a normal Strat or soloist.

Back