Where to put the strap buttons on a diamonback body so no neck dive happens?

Joe1166

I just ordered a diamondback body from warmoth and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about where to put the strap buttons so that no neck dive happens. I have seen that the gibson sg has neck dive but does this same neck dive happen on a warmoth diamondback body when it has a different shape than the sg? That the diamondback's has a sloped back make it more likely to not neck dive? Does the diamondback's bulkiness compared to the sg make it so it does not neck dive?

I would just attach the strap with cord wrapped around head stock just behind the nut. I think that is a cool look tha should be brought back.

its my understanding that a heavy neck with a light body causes that,  solution (in my relm of thinkin) heavy body = any neck,  light body = light neck, and to the other question asto where to put the buttons,  i will let someone more nolegable answer that one.

Solution is two fold ... Put strap button on the neck plate.  There are videos on this.  Measure carefully.  Also use a strap with a leather back.  On my teles I just live with it.

A suggestion, since I've built more than one guitar without the traditional top horn.

On my V-K, I originally had the button right next to the neck plate and it dove pretty badly.  I moved the button to the same position at the neck pocket and it's like night and day.

And I use cheap woven-nylon straps.

Attachments

• strap button.png
    strap button.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
It would be better if someone who has a Diamondback can comment on this. I do not have one.

Fat Pete has one and here is the build thread. Perhaps reach out to him about where he placed the strap button as there is not photo. But anyway here is his build thread. (It doesn't seem like seven years ago that he built this but it must be)

Edit: 20 Jan 2023. Link updated for new forum software.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this threat instead of starting a new one.

I don't want to use the neckplate method or screw into the end of the body as @NedRyerson suggests above. I've seen some ESP Vipers that place the strap button here. I tested the location by pinching the body only at this point, and it balances fairly well like this. If I place the other button centered relative to the bridge in the end of the lower bout, that should work out okay, right?

I must have missed this when Stratamania referenced my build. I put it on the neck plate as below and didn't like it - more or less unusable with the Schaller strap locks I normally fit. I think the back of the horn location would work well.

VV7qjyU.jpg

monkey_sg.jpeg
Tony Iommi put it in the same spot as a strat. If you do this make sure to use a longer screw.

I must have missed this when Stratamania referenced my build. I put it on the neck plate as below and didn't like it - more or less unusable with the Schaller strap locks I normally fit. I think the back of the horn location would work well.

VV7qjyU.jpg

Putting the button on the neck screw like this is what I did with my Nomad, and it's my preferred solution. I'll be watching to see if putting it on the back of the horn solves the issue.

Before you drill I would recommend getting some gaffer's tape, taping your strap in the place where you expect to place the button, and actually wearing the guitar to see if the problem is solved. (Make sure you keep a hand ready to catch the guitar if it slips free of the tape.)

I my experience "pinching" the guitar to check for balance does not provide an accurate indication of how it will hang when worn on a strap.

Before you drill I would recommend getting some gaffer's tape, taping your strap in the place where you expect to place the button, and actually wearing the guitar to see if the problem is solved. (Make sure you keep a hand ready to catch the guitar if it slips free of the tape.)
Unfortunately this guitar is already finished (from Warmoth, satin) and I think gaffer's tape would permanently mar the finish. Do you think otherwise? Any tips for taping it while protecting the finish?

Gaffers tape should not mar anything. Masking tape could work too...

Put a heavy rubber band thru your strap and close to the end as possible and check the balance, being sure to catch it if it falls. Don't leave rubber attached to guitar for very long however.

Back