Where EXACTLY does that "Signature Stratocaster Sound" come from ?

K

kreig

OH ... I know some of you brainiacs out there are going to say - It's the single-coil pups ! or ? explain your reasoning .

Example:

Then explain why tele single-coils and P-90 single-coils don't produce that same sig. strat sound ? or explain the difference
between the resistance/impedance #'s. or ? etc. . .

Let's have FUN !

Strat sound comes from Strat pickups... that's why it's called Strat sound!  P90s and Tele pickups are just different... different size and shape, different materials, different number of turns, etc.  So they sound different.

The woods and stuff matter too... a maple neck will sound Strattier than a mahogany neck.  But the pickups matter more.

kreig said:
OH ... I know some of you brainiacs out there are going to say - It's the single-coil pups ! or ? explain your reasoning .

Example:

Then explain why tele single-coils and P-90 single-coils don't produce that same sig. strat sound ? or explain the difference

Let's have FUN !

even same dc's but different coilshapes (even ifyou have the same magnets!) will give you a different tone. not even speaking about different wire gauges.

Orpheo said:
kreig said:

Example:

Let's have FUN !

even same dc's but different coilshapes (even ifyou have the same magnets!) will give you a different tone. not even speaking about different wire gauges.
Cal you make the coil shapes funky, like an X  or something? An X shape Pickup would look cool

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Orpheo said:
kreig said:

Example:

Let's have FUN !

Cal you make the coil shapes funky, like an X  or something? An X shape Pickup would look cool

sure, but would it be usefull? I think you'd get a lot of signal cancelation. no, I mean width and length of the coil, even the angle with which a wire goes around the corner makes a difference.

We could get into some electrical theroy but that would get difficult. Some may think that by merely putting X amount of winds and achieving X amount of resistance that you get a certian sound. That is just not how it works. Every variable plays a part to creating a certian sound.

The best overall view of where the characteristics come from would be coil shape, height versus width, magnet material, ceramic, alnico 2,3, 4, 5, wire gauge, and how tight or loose the coil is wrapped. Height and width contribute a lot. In general terms the taller the coil, the more "sparkly" and cleaner the sound. The fatter the coil the sound gets a little warmer. Magnet material also contributes. Alnico 5 is brighter than its lower number counter parts. This is due to the alloy of the magnet material. An alnico 2 will have characteristics more like an aged alnico 5. Alnico 2,3,and 4 tend to be a bit smoother with a little less output. The tension of the coil will change the capacitance and inductance and will also lend to the character of the sound. The guage of the wire will change the sound as well. The tele neck pickup is wound with a smaller guage which is one of the reasons its a little smaller than its bridge and its strat counterparts.

There are other variables as well. The wood, pickup placement, string length also come into play. So if I had to say what creates the sig sound it would mostly be the shape and size of the coil, the mags, and winding techniques followed by the woods and construction of the guitar.

I can put strat pups in an SG and it will sound very un-Strat like...

Let us not forget an alder body, maple neck, and the vintage style hardware. That, and the pickups, make a "stock" Strat sound what it is.

Scale Length (25.5") is a huge factor in the "strat" sound along with the pickups and everything else that has been mentioned. Having a spring mounted tremolo as opposed hard tail bridge is also a definite factor.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:

There's some old Gibson LPs and V's that had "L" or "boomerang" shaped pickups.

The V2 with boomerang pups

http://static.zoovy.com/img/soundsource/W360-H480-Bffffff/G/gibson_flying_v_2_front_full_1.jpg 

Back