Dummy Coil: Question from a dummy.... ANSWERED!!!

BigSteve22 said:
Right now my Jazzy is hanging in it's Hercules stand, set for just the bridge pup in P-90 mode, facing a 42" plasma tv, and sitting right next to my laptop, pedal board P/S, various wall warts, and my cell and portable phones. Still, no hum at all!

That does sound impressive! Really the only place I have difficulty with hum is sitting in front of the computer while recording. Always have to be turned 90 degrees away or it’s awful. Quite a pain. May have to look into one of these....  Glad you got your situation sorted!

It occurs to me that this means single coils are no longer off the approved list. That means good, old-fashioned P90s, Jazzmaster p'ups, traditional singles, etc. are all able to be used without buying into some expensive "boutique" noiseless solution. Considering the Hum Debugger only costs ~$120, it would more than pay for itself after the first set of inexpensive sweet-sounding run-of-the-mill Strat pickups.

Be interesting to know why it has to run on 7.5vac, though. I wonder if it needs the 60hz reference? If so, that's too bad. If it could run on 9vdc, it could be built right into a guitar.

Back