Whats wrong with me..

Vol. Knob

So I'm gonna buy a business, a jewelry store.  Since getting laid off last march I've been dorking around and not doing much.  An opportunity is falling into my lap and I'm gonna run with it.  But all that occupies my thoughts is how I can use the business to justify building a new Warmoth... or two... or three...  Guitars and Jewelry have little to do with each other.

my gut response to your last question is "So?"

The store is the means.. the guitars are the end.  Have fun with it.  :icon_thumright:

Superlizard said:
Vol. Knob said:
Guitars and Jewelry have little to do with each other.

Not unless you change your new store into a Pawn Shop.   :icon_biggrin:

haha you should start up a hybrid jewelry store / luthier shop. a good luthier is hard to come by, and guitar maintenance is the perfect cover for buying a gift  :dontknow:

Is it already a fairly successful business and the original owner wants to move or retire, or are you buying a business that tanked?

whoah!  Running your own business is a big big deal.  Make sure you learn as much as possible about the business and the product, keep your overheads and cost of goods low, and learn how to merchandise.  

I've got some experience in running a retail operation (a small chain of coffee houses).  PM me if you need any specific advice.  And good luck!  :eek:ccasion14:

Trevor, you LOOK like the guy who would run coffee shops  :laughing7:

And didn't someone here tell of a guitar with rhinestones all over it? EBay auction, maybe...

I like the idea of precious stone inlays...  I was thinking about sending my next neck out to a custom inlay shop, because I like the idea of doing constellations as an inlay in semi-precious stones...

You can even use different color stones to match actual star colors

Xplorervoodoo said:
I like the idea of precious stone inlays...  I was thinking about sending my next neck out to a custom inlay shop, because I like the idea of doing constellations as an inlay in semi-precious stones...

You can even use different color stones to match actual star colors

That, is something I'd love to see.  :headbang:

Get some holographic sparkles, mixed in with some blue sparkles... and that would look cool over a black undercoat for the constellationcaster.

hannaugh said:
Is it already a fairly successful business and the original owner wants to move or retire, or are you buying a business that tanked?

I'm very very lucky in that its a close friend.  She's been running the family jewelry store for more than a decade, in that time she got a law degree, now she wants to go use it.  She was the last family member to run the store, so its sell it or close it.  Its actually a healthy store.  Its making money despite the economy and other local issues. 

well it wouldn't hurt to hang a few guitars on the wall, and those would be tax write offs BTW, And I mean Warmoth Guitars, I am sure W will give you a reciept with each purchase

Its definitely in the plans if it all works out.  A few custom guitars with inlay work hanging on the walls to keep me company while I'm on the job. 

And of course it will mean more money for more guitars.  I mean, at worst it'll pay me more than I made from the job I got laid off from.  At best...  Well I don't wanna get my hopes up, then it'll all come crashing down.  My goal is to get in there and make sure it survives.  Fortunately the Christmas season is just a few months away.

Vol. Knob said:
hannaugh said:

I'm very very lucky in that its a close friend.  She's been running the family jewelry store for more than a decade, in that time she got a law degree, now she wants to go use it.  She was the last family member to run the store, so its sell it or close it.  Its actually a healthy store.  Its making money despite the economy and other local issues. 

Oh, that's good.  The fact that you already have a customer base is going to be a huge help to you.  Trying to build that up initially is half the battle

Going concerns with a decent turnover are far far better than buying a business that closed down - even for a month.

I wish you all the best. :cool01:

Damn I wish I had the guts to get my own business. I am getting kinda sick of 'working for the man' since I was 16 (48 now), and always having to jump through some sort of qualification or training just to stay in the job.

I made some conscious decisions back in the 80s to keep working at a full time office type job instead of risking it for some weekend rock n roll venture ( I had 2 offers to join bands), and now, years later, the old regret creeps up on me wondering whether if it was worth the sacrifice? :dontknow:

Working for yourself is hard.  The rewards are great, but you can't fire yourself unless the business goes belly-up.  My wife works for herself, and when things go wrong there's no one to blame but yourself.

Back