What's the going rate for a refret job?

Isurus

What are folks used to paying a shop for a refret job with stainless frets?

Never had it done before and just got quoted $600 which was steeped than I expected.

It's all over the place, I've heard as high as $800 for nickel frets. Honestly, when people say $800, I think they want to scare the work off. $600  isn't out of the ballpark, but it's on the high side. I think if you shop around you can find something more like $350-500, but if you have to ship, that will cost you $70-100 roundtrip.

Things that affect price are lacquered fretboards, binding, and (yes) SS. SS adds a premium of $100-200.

wow - that's expensive.  Price is about $250 in this neck of the woods.  For nickel-sliver mind you.

I haven't checked in ages either but yeah I was thinking more in line with Trevor's figure. But the. Again my first house I bought/sold for $80k would be 3/4 million in San Jose.

Albany ny 280 to 500 depending on the work.  If you need a name just ask

Thanks for the input.  I'd like to keep it local-ish, so I'm looking in the Monterey / Santa Cruz / San Jose, CA area.  I have a couple of other feelers out so we'll see what comes of it.

in my neck of the woods, I was quoted between 400 to 600 dollars. so I decided to buy the required tools and took on the job myself

swarfrat said:
I haven't checked in ages either but yeah I was thinking more in line with Trevor's figure. But the. Again my first house I bought/sold for $80k would be 3/4 million in San Jose.

You must be talking about a townhome or condo because any $750k house in San Jose would be a complete teardown project. 

$600 from someone like Brawer would be expected.  If it's vintage or a high-dollar piece, really consider paying it.  If it's not, check CL and Yelp to find the guys working out of their garage.  Sorry, can't recommend anyone, the guy I've been sending people to moved last year.

Update:  I just checked around and the best guy here in town charges $600 to $750 CAD, the upper value likely for a bound neck.  BTW this includes a new nut (bone), setup, and PLEK.

I'm thinking that my best option is a new neck with SS frets!!

The upper value for Albany is for a Gibson neck attached to the guitar wth wrap around binding  and steel frets.  No pek.

Wolfie351 said:
You must be talking about a townhome or condo because any $750k house in San Jose would be a complete teardown project. 

Dang.  $750K is almost mansion-level in Michigan. Easily a 5BR, 3000 sq ft. or greater in one of the affluent suburbs.

I think the average is about $350 in my area for a stainless refret. Above 400 and I would definitely be shopping around. I've learned the hard way that higher pricing does not necessarily mean a better tech/luthier.

If you're on the handy side, you can do it yourself, The info is out there, I think I spent $150-200 total, and about $55 of it was a pound of 55108 Jescar fret wire, which should do about 3 guitars. the only thing I bought was a crowning file, a nylon tipped dead blow hammer, and a fret press caul with all the radius inserts off a guy in greece on fleabay,

But I used a used warmoth neck that someone had filed the frets down to about .030 tall, I got it from a guy in his late 70's who used .007' gauge strings

Jeez. I've been leaving a lotta money on the table, and I generally only do stainless. Not lately, though. Shop's in storage and I don't know when I'm gonna be set up again. If anyone's charging more than $400, though, I'd keep looking even if you can't get it done locally. It's just not that big a deal, and I've never seen anyone's work who does it better than I do. Even the pricey "custom shop" guitars I've seen I'd never ship that way.

Cagey said:
Jeez. I've been leaving a lotta money on the table, and I generally only do stainless. Not lately, though. Shop's in storage and I don't know when I'm gonna be set up again. If anyone's charging more than $400, though, I'd keep looking even if you can't get it done locally. It's just not that big a deal, and I've never seen anyone's work who does it better than I do. Even the pricey "custom shop" guitars I've seen I'd never ship that way.

Alright, Cagey - let me know when you're back in business and I'll send my axe to you then!

Yeah, I might try to do it myself.  But the guitar in question is my cherished mid-80s Kramer Pacer and I'm the original owner.  Not sure it's one I want to practice on.

It's tempting but my nut progress leaves me leery of biting off something a lot harder than bone.

Back