Whats in your Strat bidge position ?

I like my Super Distortion S.  Not that great coil tapped, but hey, thats what my Cruiser is for!

Fender hot noiseless set - - on the bridge I just turn the tone to 8 and I'm golden. I love them.

Both of my strats have Custom Shop '69s. They are fantastic, and would be perfect if they was a little more string balance for modern radius necks.

PS, I've had a SD hot rail in the bridge (hated it), Dimarzio HS-3 (meh), and a Lindy Fralin Woodstock (not too bad).

jay4321 said:
Both of my strats have Custom Shop '69s. They are fantastic, and would be perfect if they was a little more string balance for modern radius necks.

PS, I've had a SD hot rail in the bridge (hated it), Dimarzio HS-3 (meh), and a Lindy Fralin Woodstock (not too bad).

Personally I really like Hot Rails and the mini SD 59 in the bridge.  If you are expecting a certain humbucker sound or single coil sound, you will be disappointed I think.  It is its own sound.

I like a Dimarzio Fast Track-1 (DP-184) in the bridge position of a Strat as well...

Full size Seymour Duncan JB.  I had a single coil stack JB in there and took it out.  I also tried a lil 59er, screamin demon single coil and a dimarzio hs4, but they all sounded a bit too "thin" to my ears.  For me, if you wanna go for a humbucker you gotta go for the full size ones...Just me tho

in the two I'm building right now, one has a GFS NeoVin (overwound) and the other a GFS Pro-Tube Lipstick.

for the third strat (yeah, I'm already planning Number 3), Dave at Rio Grande is wring up a set of "Run & Gun" pickups for me, with a Railgunner in the bridge, wired to split with a push/pull knob.

I'm having him wire the two Bladerunners that way as well. I'm fairly giddy with anticipation.  :party07:

-erik

I'm just in the middle of a build now, and I bought a set of Lace Holy Grail '54s from a guy used. 

The Neck and middle sound fantastic, but the bridge PU get's very shrill and farts out, like most
weak strat "vintage voiced" pickups will.    I'm not a gain freak, or blues guy, but I like a good
chunky "hiwatt marshall on 10" Pete Townshend or Angus young riff like anyone else.

SO, I read around and bought a Lace Sensor Burgundy. It's not devoid of highs like the "Red" sensor
and it's not SUPER STRATTY like a gold, silver, Fender Noiseless...

It's supposed to sound more like a P-90 in it's handling of gain...

my texas special bridge is very thin and shrill. sounds like an electric mandolin sometimes.

and so i thought strat bridge pickups were unusable.

till i saw eric johnson repeatedly use it in his live performance at crossroads 2004.

what pups does he use?

GFS Neovin 7 - the 'fat' one, it's not shrill but it lacks balls and character. Really, pretty forgettable. Yet another set of strat pickups is in my future at some point, though the neovins do okay in the neck / middle position once I got them sorted out - 1 meg vol and no-load tone pots and super close to the strings. BTW, these pickups really ought to have a flat or radius stagger - you have to stick them so close to the strings that having a vintage stagger makes no sense at all.

Back