What's a good quality rubbing/polishing compound?

jeffjozwiak

Does anyone recommend a particular compound brand for the final steps? Can I just used a local store's (Home Depot, whatever). Would 3M or something similar be OK?

I use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound on my Nitro finishes for the final buff before polishing.

3M Finesse-it is an excellent product.

Meguiars also makes an entire line of products - cleaner/polish, swirl remover, mirror glaze, etc.  They have a rating system on each product label that indicates how aggressive the action is - ideally they should be used with a buffing wheel.  I've used them on multiple types of finish - shellac, nitro, PU, and PU/acrylic, all with good results.

Does anyone recommend a particular compound brand for the final steps? Can I just used a local store's (Home Depot, whatever). Would 3M or something similar be OK?
Products such as 3M Perfect-It, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, or Menzerna rubbing compound are very popular due to their efficiency and flexibility. These compounds may be useful in fixing scratches, oxidation, and imperfections on different surfaces including automotive paint and gel coats. In addition, ensure you select the appropriate compounds for your application - some are intended for heavy cutting while others are for fine polishing. Compliance with the manufacturer's instructions is a must, and make sure you pick the right pads for the best outcome.

Last edited:
Products such as 3M Perfect-It, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, or Menzerna compounds are very popular due to their efficiency and flexibility. These compounds may be useful in fixing scratches, oxidation, and imperfections on different surfaces including automotive paint and gel coats. In addition, ensure you select the appropriate compounds for your application - some are intended for heavy cutting while others are for fine polishing. Compliance with the manufacturer's instructions is a must, and make sure you pick the right pads for the best outcome.

Are you a bot replying to a thread that has been inactive for fifteen years?

The miracle of artificial intelligence is that it utterly fails to displace any of the extant organic idiocy.

YMMV, of course.

Back