What wood/finish to match a tobacco or black-brown-yellow burst?

Wesquire

I'm in the process of selecting components for my first warmoth guitar. I'm fairly set on a VIP hollow body in either tobacco or black-brown-yellow burst. I really like this build: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29962.0

But I think I'd like more black on the outside and I'm not a fan of binding on the neck. So I'm thinking about maybe a roasted flame maple neck (with no fretboard). Does anyone know what finish or other woods would match the body well?

Thanks

vetteman said:
Vintage tint plain Maple looks good also.

I'm pretty sure I want something darker brown than that. I'm just concerned that the roasted maple might be too grey without the vintage tint and too yellow with it.

I suggest you look at lots of pictures and pick something you like.  Though that said, I would go with a darker fretboard.

rick2 said:
I suggest you look at lots of pictures and pick something you like.  Though that said, I would go with a darker fretboard.

Yea, I do also like the look of a roasted flame maple neck with the dark rosewood fretboard. That, the straight roasted flame maple, and the mahogany with dark rosewood in vintage tint are my 3 contenders. I've been trying to find pictures but I can't really find a good comparison.

I built this bass from a tobacco-sunburst Warmoth Swamp Ash body and a Warmoth quartersawn Brazilian Ebony neck, I like the way that color combination goes together*

P-Bass.jpg

*My wife's friend insists that the key to having a good fashion sense is to find clothes that "go together" rather than "match"

Back