What was Palisander back in the 90s?

Belch

I have a warmoth purchased back in the early 90s and it was made from "Palisander". I asked the sales dude what that meant and he said it was from Madagascar.

If anybody from back then is still around who knows what the deal was, maybe you could explain what dalbergia species was being touted as palisander, because I just can't find much in the way of a dalbergia species to nail "palisander" to. Was it dalbergia baroni? I know it wasn't dalbergia nigra because that was being sold as an upgrade.

With all of this CITES stuff going on and manufacturers shifting from rosewood to alternatives just for mere fingerboards (mine is all palisander rosewood with a brazilian board), I'm thinking that maybe I might have something. I just wish I knew exactly what I have.

As much as I can find tells me Palisander is to Rosewood as Korina is to Limba. More a regional/commercial thing than a different species.

Yeah, that's about what I get out of it, too. I do know that before Warmoth shifted to Indian rosewood, they were marketing standard rosewood as Palisander.

If a pic helps, the fingerboard is brazilian, and the spine is "palisander".

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1870/43890992794_3d5d346a54_c.jpg

Attachments

• warmoth.jpg
    warmoth.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 457
Hey guys....I talked to Ken about this, and he had some insight that I can share.

In the past there were a lot of different Rosewoods available, and no legal restrictions to worry about, so if we found some at a reasonable price we would grab it. We didn't know which specific species of Rosewood those batches were, so we used the ambiguous "Palisander" label, to distinguish it from the Indian Rosewood that we usually used.

From the picture Ken thinks what you have there is Madagascan Rosewood. The color, the figure, and the open pore structure all say Madagascar. We did use a lot of Madagascan Rosewood for a time, so there is a good chance that's what it is.

Obviously, this is an educated guess, not a positive identification.

Part of the problem with wood ID is the locals call it one thing, when taxonomically it may be something different. That's why scientific wood ID is best, then using the latin name for it.

For instance: Nearly every nation in the world has an "ironwood" - usually applied to the hardest local wood. There are no taxonomic names meaning ironwood.

Adding to the confusion is marketing names: Gibson called white limba "Korina" - and trademarked it.

Phillippine Mahogany is used for a variety of woods - most commonly lauan, none of which have any mahogany characteristics beyond a medium brown color.

African Mahogany is actually khaya - also known as striped mahogany or sapele. Neither is a true mahogany - Swietenia.

Then there is Spanish Cedar, which is neither Spanish nor cedar. It resembles mahogany a lot, but the latin is Cedrela.

Yellow mahogany is more likely Meranti. or yellowheart.

Asian woods? Don't get me started. Yamaha used to call a lot of their stuff nato (no such thing).

Personally, I'm glad non-traditional woods have been accepted into the market. I hope American makers start using more domestic woods - as many have proven to be excellent choices for tonewood by adventurous luthiers.

The only impediment is the false perceptions of the uneducated public who think only certain woods must be used. Like all ebony is black..... Martin used to dye everything black if it was destined for a fingerboard. And yet - American Persimmon is a true ebony - Diospyros, but it's more streaky gray than black. Just as hard, though.

Thanks Double A!

And please thank Mr. Warmoth for me because for well over 20 years, and my original idea of finding a GAS killer has worked wonders. I have walked past countless guitars and turned my nose up at almost (I am human after all) all of them.  I recently had my "Rosie" go into the shop for a setup and a volume pot replaced, and the owner of the shop was flabbergasted. Not only at the weight which is prodigious since it is not chambered and all rosewood, but at the wood that you guys made my baby with.

:yourock:

Saw down every last ebony tree in a blaze of conspicuous consumption for all i care, but if you start messing with the source of persimmon pudding i will hurt you!!!!

Belch said:
Thanks Double A!

And please thank Mr. Warmoth for me because for well over 20 years, and my original idea of finding a GAS killer has worked wonders. I have walked past countless guitars and turned my nose up at almost (I am human after all) all of them.  I recently had my "Rosie" go into the shop for a setup and a volume pot replaced, and the owner of the shop was flabbergasted. Not only at the weight which is prodigious since it is not chambered and all rosewood, but at the wood that you guys made my baby with.

:yourock:

He is probably reading this himself right about now.....so I think you just thanked him.  :icon_biggrin:

swarfrat said:
Saw down every last ebony tree in a blaze of conspicuous consumption for all i care, but if you start messing with the source of persimmon pudding i will hurt you!!!!
I don't know anything about persimmon pudding, but this wood is AWESOME!
txebony1.JPG

I'd definitely go for one of those if it was available......  :headbang:

Persimmon pudding is a moist but firm delicious pudding that's almost always homemade. Persimmons aren't ripe until they fall, and they're very soft skinned, which makes commercial harvesting/shipping/processing about impossible. But you absolutely have to try it if you get a chance.

swarfrat said:
Persimmon pudding is a moist but firm delicious pudding that's almost always homemade. Persimmons aren't ripe until they fall, and they're very soft skinned, which makes commercial harvesting/shipping/processing about impossible. But you absolutely have to try it if you get a chance.
I shall, indeed.

Back