What size screws?......

Little ones, anything you can find will work,  a pick guard screw will work, or go to hardware store and look around

1 1/4" Precision bass screws. Warmoth's got 'em, they're all over Ebay, DiMarzio makes some.... I've never found hardware store screws both long and narrow enough. Depending on pickup height above the body, and how high the ears are on the pickups, you have to be excruciatingly careful (sometimes) not to poke out the back. Sometimes you have to glue little blocks in the holes, or sometimes you have to start the screw threads, then file 1/16" off the tip of the screws and repoint them with a triangular needle file.

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass-Pickup-Mounting-Screw-Doz-Chrome-P159.aspx

I think the OP wants to direct mount, so 1 1/4 screws will be poking him in the belly, but if he's ok with that so am I

I was just wondering what the typical screw size is, like those used guitars that are factory-equipped with direct-mount humbuckers, such as the John Petrucci Music Man, EVH guitars, and George Lynch signature models. Some Jackson Dinkys had them too.  My new Warmoth body is routed for direct-mount.

All my other guitars have ring-mounted pickups (or a pickguard), so this procedure is new to me...

It depends on which style you use.  You can direct mount the tabs flush to the wood with short screws.  You can also install foam or springs under the pickup and use long screws, but still screw direct into the wood.   They're both considered direct mounting.  One is adjustable is all, but more susceptible to feedback.

Blue313 said:
It depends on which style you use.  You can direct mount the tabs flush to the wood with short screws.  You can also install foam or springs under the pickup and use long screws, but still screw direct into the wood.   They're both considered direct mounting.  One is adjustable is all, but more susceptible to feedback.

I'm interested in  the adjustable method with the springs...

Back