what pickups might fit an EMG single coil route

1975strat

I was wondering if anyone has found another pickup other than an EMG single coil that will fit an EMG single coil route.  I have a set of them now in one of my guitars and was looking for something different to install in another.  The Guitar has a pristine finish and I don't want to wreck it since I have zero skills when it comes to any tools beside a screw driver.  :dontknow:

Thanks

Lace Sensors are the first thing that comes to my mind.

SENSOR_Gold_BLK_FACE.jpg

I was looking at those and was trying to find dimensions of them is proving hard to find. thanks for information.

Some Seymour Duncan pickups.

If you are really ambitious, get a shot router bit and undercut the pickup opening and you can fit any single  cool pickup.

1975strat said:
I was wondering if anyone has found another pickup other than an EMG single coil that will fit an EMG single coil route.  I have a set of them now in one of my guitars and was looking for something different to install in another.  The Guitar has a pristine finish and I don't want to wreck it since I have zero skills when it comes to any tools beside a screw driver.  :dontknow:

You may be worried about nothing. I have several different manufacturers single coil pickups here, and they all measure roughly the same, give or take 1mm-2mm. Openings are always routed slightly larger to allow easy movement. But, you're right to check. Better than being surprised. Oddly enough, you're right - official dimensions appear to be a closely guarded secret. Either that, or they don't bother publishing them because they're not an issue - all single coil openings are roughly the same.

Cagey said:
1975strat said:

You may be worried about nothing. I have several different manufacturers single coil pickups here, and they all measure roughly the same, give or take 1mm-2mm. Openings are always routed slightly larger to allow easy movement. But, you're right to check. Better than being surprised. Oddly enough, you're right - official dimensions appear to be a closely guarded secret. Either that, or they don't bother publishing them because they're not an issue - all single coil openings are roughly the same.

From W's PU routing options:

pickup_routing_singlecoil.jpg

I see. That's the base outline, not the top. I was measuring the tops. Forgot about needing to clear the base. My fault. Never mind.

Lots of Duncans will fit:

SSL-5, SSL-6, SSL-3
STK-Sx (all the Stack Plus pickups)
Hot/Vintage/Cool rails
Little 59/Duckbucker/JB Jr/Li'l Screamin' Demon
Quarter Pounders
Blackouts singles
Lipstick Tube
Livewire Classic II

Be careful with the Duncan "rails" pickups and other single coil sized humbuckers - they are a slightly different shape than a standard single coil as the plastic surrounding the rails is a bit more square at the ends. A pickguard that is cut for a standard Strat pickup often has to be modified to fit one of these, and it may be the same for the body rout.

I've had pickups custom made to that shape, because I don't like direct mounted single coils with the flanged bases. You can do the same, if you want.

Back