What pickguard?

line6man

Epic Member
I ordered an unfinished body from the showcase, but a few days ago a perfect finished body showed up on the showcase...
I got my unfinished body yesterday and i called up Warmoth and told them i would like to return the body and exchange it for the finished body on the showcase.
FWIW, Warmoth was awesome about the exchange. They took the finished body off the showcase for me, and when they get my unfinished body back, they will credit me for it, and just charge me the rest of the difference for the new body.

Anyways,
Its a gloss black Jazz bass body, and i will be pairing it with a Padouk/Pau Ferro neck.

The question is what pickguard should i go with?
I really like the brown shell pickguard, especially on a black body, but i am not sure how well its going to sit with the Padouk and Pau Ferro.
Do you guys think that brown shell would look ok? Or should i stick to a black pickguard?

Here is my terrible mock up of all the colors...

I like the brown shell, it's all iridescent & mystical-like... your woods are gonna go darker than your mockup, and the brown shell is a nice way to tie the woods in. This guy is coming along, I got all the pots and such & just need to carve out some quality time with my soldering iron.
S6300125-1.jpg

I specifically chose the brown to warm it up and mate with a pao ferro board - god know what the babies will look like*....

Warmoth's and Fender's modere tortoiseshell really leans towards the red side, but there are some much browner "tortoises" out there from a few people.

*(If peanut oil is made out of peanuts, and olive oil is made out of olives, what is baby oil made out of....) :blob7:

One thing to consider - all the pickguards look pretty cool from close up, if there's not a big conflict in color. However, from a distance the patterns are going to blur out so something like the "Ananconda" is going to be pretty much a dirty gray color. On a black bass, almost anything goes - I even like their bright lime green pearl, but I'm not quite enough of an egomaniac to go there. Hmmm, only $28... You couldn't go wrong with Silver Shell, Silver Pearl, or Black Pearl either.

(Hey Gregg if I tell 'em to buy one of each do I get a prize) :blob7:

brown shell looks great....

stubby...is that metal...I saw those at a show lately but they were not letting anyone play them.

stubhead said:
One thing to consider - all the pickguards look pretty cool from close up, if there's not a big conflict in color. However, from a distance the patterns are going to blur out so something like the "Ananconda" is going to be pretty much a dirty gray color. On a black bass, almost anything goes - I even like their bright lime green pearl, but I'm not quite enough of an egomaniac to go there. Hmmm, only $28... You couldn't go wrong with Silver Shell, Silver Pearl, or Black Pearl either.

(Hey Gregg if I tell 'em to buy one of each do I get a prize) :blob7:

I am aware that just about any pickguard on the planet works with a black bass, but i guess what i am asking is what works with Padouk and Pau Ferro...
There are pretty much only two pickguards that i like. Black and Brown Shell.  I really want the brown shell, but i don't know how good it will look, otherwise i will stick to black.

Ok, i saw a picture over in the Strat section of a black Strat with a solid black gloss pickguard, and i have decided that that is the pickguard i will be using for this bass.

Ok, so here is the rundown:

Black gloss body
Solid black gloss pickguard
Black pickup cover
Black Strat knobs
Chrome Hardware
Padouk neck
Light colored Pau Ferro fingerboard

Thoughts?
I am afraid that black hardware would be required with all that black, but then again, plastic parts are all black, metal parts are all chrome, so it should be fine.

That guitar should be good for playing metal.....sorry, couldn't resist.

Really nice and unique.

Back