What Makes a Tele a Tele, A Strat a Strat and a LP an LP?

Jusatele said:
Interesting, never considered John 5 metal
More like heavy pop
I do say some of his songs really rock. Marilyn Manson was one of my favs for a while.

I think John 5 is into a little bit of everything.  Don't forget he's also done work with Rob Zombie.

John5 is an amazing guitarist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-QNbRRvP4&feature=related

extremely under rated as far as I am concerned

Dig them furry arms! Guitar makers try to pick young guitarists and "bet" a signature model on them - John5 actually has a bunch of weird Tele variants, some are actually pretty cool, and some....

You can be pretty sure that PRS's bet on Mark Tremoni for a siggie, about 15 seconds before Creed broke up, and all the companies holding the bag after Eddie Van Halen freakouts  might've made them think a bit harder about it. Although, Dimebag Darrell is still happily designing new guitars for Dean, 7 years after his death.

>> ...Dimebag Darrell is still happily designing new guitars for Dean, 7 years after his death.

That's a pretty neat trick, but Jimi Hendrix released a new album last year after having been dead for 41 years so he's still the trendsetter.

StubHead said:
Dig them furry arms! Guitar makers try to pick young guitarists and "bet" a signature model on them - John5 actually has a bunch of weird Tele variants, some are actually pretty cool, and some....

You can be pretty sure that PRS's bet on Mark Tremoni for a siggie, about 15 seconds before Creed broke up, and all the companies holding the bag after Eddie Van Halen freakouts  might've made them think a bit harder about it. Although, Dimebag Darrell is still happily designing new guitars for Dean, 7 years after his death.

Ironic you mention Mark Tremonti.  I just received my latest issue of Guitar World and yet again, Mark Tremonti is in it.  He's been in nearly every freakin' issue for the past year.  Now, maybe it's me, but I'm not impressed by his "skill" or Creed's painfully boring music.  I'd rather jam knives under my fingernails than listen to anything by Creed (or Mark Tremonti...).

Dean guitars don't impress me.  Unfortunately, I'd never had the opportunity to play a Dean while Dean Zelinsky owned them.  Not even a year ago, I played an American Dean Razorback and despite its $3500-$4000 price tag, it played no better than an $800 Korean variant.  Given its price, I was expecting magical things from this guitar.

While mentioning this American Razorback, allow me to mention it seemed very nicely crafted and even had a real nice bit of inlay work on the headstock, but it was cheesy.  Now, I'm all about Dimebag Darrell as he's one of my favorite guitarists of all time, but his face engraved on the headstock of a $3500-$4000 guitar?  :icon_scratch:  Really?  I'm sorry, but if I fork over $3500-$4000 for a guitar, it isn't going to be one with some guy's face plasted on it.

John 5 is a super-underrated guitarist.  While his style isn't my favorite, I can certainly appreciate his skill.  I think he's one of the best guitarists out there today and is indeed deserving of a signature model, unlike those assclowns, the Black Veil Brides,  who are signed on with B.C. Rich.  B.C. Rich has stooped to handing a signature model to every suck-ass who picks up a guitar.  The only worthwhile endorser they have with them is Kerry King.  Apparently, they do good work for him or I'd suspect he'd jump ship.  At least the guys back in the 80s had some talent to go along with their abundance of AquaNet.  :doh:

Daze, in the 80s there were some killer guitars coming out under the Dean name, it is a shame that they, like Washburn have turned into a foreign import with a USA name to price point, at one time both made some great stuff. Washburn is older than Gibson and has at one time built some of the best guitars coming out of the USA.

Jusatele said:
Daze, in the 80s there were some killer guitars coming out under the Dean name, it is a shame that they, like Washburn have turned into a foreign import with a USA name to price point, at one time both made some great stuff. Washburn is older than Gibson and has at one time built some of the best guitars coming out of the USA.

I think there are still some American Washburns but they're not what they used to be.  I'd love to to have the opportunity to sit down with a TRUE Dean.

Dean Zelinsky himself is back with the "DBZ" guitars, and they look pretty fine. If it's anything like Leo Fender's "journey", you build up a great brand, then sell your own name out from under you for some umpteen millions, with a set-length "non-compete" clause. And after that runs out, you start up a new company, claiming that the guitars being made under your old name are so disappointing, you just HAD to get back into business.
Fender -> Music Man -> G&L.
Dean-> DBZ.

But you still get to keep the umpteen millions, plus maybe a few points off the old name.  :hello2:

http://www.dbzguitars.com/

StubHead said:
Dean Zelinsky himself is back with the "DBZ" guitars, and they look pretty fine. If it's anything like Leo Fender's "journey", you build up a great brand, then sell your own name out from under you for some umpteen millions, with a set-length "non-compete" clause. And after that runs out, you start up a new company, claiming that the guitars being made under your old name are so disappointing, you just HAD to get back into business.
Fender -> Music Man -> G&L.
Dean-> DBZ.

But you still get to keep the umpteen millions, plus maybe a few points off the old name.  :hello2:

http://www.dbzguitars.com/

I've played a few DBZs.  They are amazing...and I've only played the Korean ones.

Back