Votes: 44 26.2%
  • GHS

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 41 24.4%

• Total voters
D

dwayneed

I have been rethinking my entire setup over the last year and just realized that I have been playing the same strings for the last 20+ years. DR PHR-10 pure nickel round core. What do you use?

I usually play with Elixirs, but that's just cause I'll go six months without changing them.

dwayneed said:
pure nickel round core.

:icon_thumright:

Pure nickel wrap for great tone... I do GHS Burnished Pure Nickel.

Non-pure nickel is tinny and metallic sounding.

Nickel does bad things to me so I'm using Fender Stainless at the moment. They're "ok" but not spectacular, will try other makes as time and budget permits.

GHS Boomers...been using them for the last 25 years.  I've tried many other brands, but kept coming back to the GHS Boomers.

DR Black beauties on my fretless
Dean Markley Alchemy -Randy Jackson on my G4  Also use Alchemy's on my Archtop
Maxima on my neck through
Elixer on my Dobro
John Pearse  on my Taylor 612CE
Fender Bullets on my Strat
Fender on my Tele
Pro Arte on my Classical
Markley Blue Steels on my Les Paul Custom

D'addario XL 10-46 on most on my single coil guitars and GHS Boomers 10-46 or 10-52 on the humbucker ones.  I've been messing around with Gibson Brite Wires on the LP but the jury is still out.

Thomastik
the best non par
I use ernie ball too, but they wear out so fast compared to the thomastik.

I have always used Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46.  They work fine and last quite a while, and they're what I'm used to, so I never use anything else.

Just go up to 12-56 and your sound will improve dramatically. Especially when you go back down to 10's and your fingers are twice as strong.  :doh:

*That's what I use only I don't plan on going back down

Justinginn said:
Just go up to 12-56 and your sound will improve dramatically. Especially when you go back down to 10's and your fingers are twice as strong.  :doh:

I played .12s prior to the .10s couldn't hang with the wound G.  :doh:

dwayneed said:
Justinginn said:

I played .12s prior to the .10s couldn't hang with the wound G.  :doh:

I played 10s, then 12s, then 10s... I'm a lot stronger after playing the 12s.  But I have always loved a wound G... I started out playing acoustic and always stuck with wound-G sets when I picked up electric.

Anyone ever try those cryogenically-treated Dean Markleys?  I guess they're supposed to last a really long time... they cryogenically treat piano strings for the same reason.

Jon said:
I have always used Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46.  They work fine and last quite a while, and they're what I'm used to, so I never use anything else.

If it ain't broke, no reason to fix it...

Back