what is the worst case scenario?

vtpcnk

if i try to truoil finish a body and a neck ... and fail miserably for whatever reason?

You'll start wetting the bed, develop Tourette's, invest all your money in GM, and start playing Bass to hide your shame. I say go for it!  :icon_thumright:

Just don't broil submerged parts in the oven, use small thermonuclear devices, matter colliders etc.  You'll only be able to play in D minor.  :laughing7:

Seriously at worst you'll probably be sanding it off.  Just follow the basic directions and it'll be fine.

You won't fail miserably. It may not turn out exactly as you wanted, but in that case just sand back a bit and redo it. In a year or so you'll start seeing your small mistakes and do that anyway. In another five years you'll see everything you did wrong the second time and leave it that way out of nostalgia.

looks like ByteFrenzy and I are the only serious replies, Go for it, play it whatever, if it's not perfect, you can sand it back and try agian, the best part is you will learn a ton, and next time will be easier.

I have read a ton on finnishing guitars, but hands on is the best teacher,  however it turns out, as long as the set-up is good, it's gonna be a great guitar.

Worst case scenario you end up with an uneven mess loaded with dust, the odd hair, and assorted bits of flotsam.

Or, you take your time follow the directions, work in a dust free (or as near as possible) environment and end up with a quite acceptable finish.  Id your wood needs grain filling I'd strongly advise using a dedicated filler.  Tru oil does build and can be used to fill grain, but takes slightly less than forever.

I've never actually tried to ignite Tru Oil, I suspect it would require direct application of flame.  It does have that linseed oil odor about it as it cures, but it is safe for use indoors.

are there any specific woods which are less porous than others - so little grainfilling needs to be done while finishing?

Yes, maple for example. But are you ready to trade the tone properties for an easier finish? An all-maple guitar would have a pretty specific, bright tone. Alder also has pretty small pores that should fill with only tru-oil, and would be better tone-wise, but it's usually considered rather plain for just an oil finish.

>Alder also has pretty small pores that should fill with only tru-oil, and would be better tone-wise, but it's usually considered rather plain for just >an oil finish.

looks is not that important to me - especially in this guitar which i intend as my workhorse.

how about swamp ash and basswood with regards pores?

Swamp ash has MONSTER pores, as does korina.  I've never seen basswood close up but it looks pretty smooth from the photos...

I'm betting basswood doesn't need much prep. It would make it cheaper to do solid finishes on, which makes sense for a production line.

tfarny said:
You'll start wetting the bed, develop Tourette's, invest all your money in GM, and start playing Bass to hide your shame. I say go for it!  :icon_thumright:

Umm....  What did you say about Bass?  Don't make me jump through this screen punk!  :icon_jokercolor:

Back