What is the correct headstock angle then..?

Re-Pete

When you check out guitar repair and used guitar sites, quite often you see a certain brand of guitar starting with "G" being described as having a headstock repair.
Now while those repairs, if done professionally & competently will solve the issue, the original manufacturing has been found poorly designed with the headstock joint angle being the issue.
So, my question is, what IS the better angle other than 17 degrees?

The G type referred to do not have a joint at the headstock, so the angle is not really the issue. The issue is that at a weaker point of the neck shaft to headstock transition, the angle cut into the wood means that the grain of the wood at that point is not running along its length and has grain run out.

You could have less angle, say 14 degrees, but if you just cut the angle you have a similar weakness. Therefore, a scarf joint is a better option for angled headstocks, particularly if reinforced also with splines. So a better question is what is a better construction method.

Here in this video, you can see a 17-degree angle with far improved construction. The video is from Juha Ruokangas from his Ruokangas Guitars Video Diary, documenting the prototyping and build of his first Unicorn guitar.

My headstocks have a 9 degree angle with a scarf joint. Works like a charm. No issues with strings popping out of the nut, etc.
My scarf joint is in the headstock, not in the neck. Because the angle is so shallow and I use a 21mm thick neck blank, the entire scarf joint is hidden underneath the headstock veneer and is flanked by the ears of the headstock. All you see is a tiny line and when I use woods with wild grains, you're a really great man if you can spot the joint.

My headstocks have a 9 degree angle with a scarf joint. Works like a charm. No issues with strings popping out of the nut, etc.
My scarf joint is in the headstock, not in the neck. Because the angle is so shallow and I use a 21mm thick neck blank, the entire scarf joint is hidden underneath the headstock veneer and is flanked by the ears of the headstock. All you see is a tiny line and when I use woods with wild grains, you're a really great man if you can spot the joint.
I think I saw it.

Back