WHAT IMMIDIATLY TURNS YOU OFF ABOUT A NECK PROFILE?

jerryjg

For me, when i see "Standard Thin" countour, it just totally destroys any interest. Its really awefull, cause i see a neck I really really love, and EVERYTHING  about it is just RIGHT  for me, then I see the yahoo ordered it in Standard thin!?? That is the worlds worst profile IMO>
I mean, I see so many nice used necks from Warmoth, and a few of them have every damn thing i want, like the Mahogany neck Phatboi here is selling, but then you read the "Standard Thin" , and its invariably the neck you otherwise would have splooied your jeans over, and you just want to stick a fork in your eye all the way till it reaches your neocortex.
Consequently those are the necks most often up for grabs, not surprisingly. Who wants to let go of a sweet Fatback or '59?? Those standard thins will cramp your hands for anything but shred. Don't trey to manhandle some heavy blues or hard rock out of them unless you have  Pee-wee league sized mitts. I mean, I exaggerate... I  do have standard thins , as I said, and I use them, but it isn't what i prefer , and it does cause hand stress.
I built most of my Warmoths from parts I found hither and thither, and a thin countour is okay for a really rare exotic neck you couldn't hardly locate otherwise,  but for the standard fare, I detestStandard Thin( not to mention 7.25 radius and vintage frets- equally horrible turn offs). Im gonna have the boys at Warmoth make me a  new big , fat Greek neck, with humongous frets and at least a 10.5 radius just as soon as I can!

For me thinner necks are genereally more comfortable, Wizards are a bit too thin though. My Swede has one of the most comfy neck I've ever played (the best may have been an Ibanez AK85 that I tried years ago but couldn't afford). My philosophy is to be able to play with precision without looking like an idiot, so I never ever thumb-over. Fatbacks/Boatnecks would probably be useless for my needs.

All my W's have FAT necks but I would like a thinner version of FAT, something like 1st Fret .940" 12th Fret .940". I have tried and didn't like the '59 (too wide on sides). My favorite neck profile would be the opposite of every company does: Fat on the first frets (for chords) and slightly thinner (for single notes) as it goes to the 12th fret.

I have bought all my bodies from showcase and I have ordered all my necks. Bodies are just looks & weight, necks are too complicated. I don't think I can't find a neck I like in the showcase.

To each his own - when I built my first "W" - I took my two favorite playing guitars, pulled all the strings off, measured them at the same points Warmoth does and what do you know "Wizard". I love my wizard Warmoth neck it fits my hands beautifully.

To your initial point - it is very rare to see wizard necks in the showcase - so basically I have little or no chance of getting a showcase neck I like. I'm sure they make "fast movers" and then let others be custom ordered. Standard Thin must obviously be one of those "fast movers"

Whatever rubs your Buddha, man. I have a Standard Thin and i love it! And I don't have "Pee-Wee league-sized mitts." Actually, my old Telestar (no, not Telecaster) has a really narrow, albeit thickish neck and it feels great too. In all fairness though, I have a Jackson with a ridiculously thin shreddy neck and I'm not so crazy about it anymore. aybe it's because I don't shred...

That being said, next time I order a Warmoth neck, I might go a little fatter than Standard Thin. Just for the sake of trying new things.  :laughing7:

It's really hard to reach your neocortex through your eye, especially with a fork (unless maybe it's a long, curved barbeque fork). You'd be better of with a meathook, or an icepick with a curve bent in.

3brains.jpg

I might go a little fatter than Standard Thin

That's the problem, there's nothing between .860" and 1.00". It's a really big gap, handily filled by the "other guys".... I would've bought a baritone neck from Warmoth if they would make it in something other than thin. Their guitar neck (non)-sizes and their bass neck (non)-sizing are the reason my business often goes elsewhere.

"For me, when i see "Standard Thin" countour, it just totally destroys any interest."

I agree! I scan the ads and Showcase - and pass on these: Standard Thin, Wizard.  The Standard thin is ridiculously thin - instant cramp for me.

Wow, Jerry, you got strong feelers on the subject.  :laughing3:

When I see "Boatneck" I just sigh and move on.

I've been playing Wizards since their inception, and now I have a standard thin.  I have no problem with either, but I think my preferences are moving towards the 59.

I don't find that the Standard Thin causes cramping to my hands, if anything, I find that the Wizard does.  It just comes down to preference.

My main instrument that I've been playing for nearly 14 years is modelled after a wizard profile, with just a tad more mass to it, more like a Wizard II.  It's still the guitar I grab for 1st all the time, but I will be doing my next one with a '59 back contour.

DslDwg said:
To each his own - when I built my first "W" - I took my two favorite playing guitars, pulled all the strings off, measured them at the same points Warmoth does and what do you know "Wizard". I love my wizard Warmoth neck it fits my hands beautifully.

To your initial point - it is very rare to see wizard necks in the showcase - so basically I have little or no chance of getting a showcase neck I like. I'm sure they make "fast movers" and then let others be custom ordered. Standard Thin must obviously be one of those "fast movers"
+1, I have 3 standard thins and 1 vintage boatneck and 1 wizard. And the wizard is my fav, fits me just perfect just like my Jackson necks. the standard thins are definitely not for shredding, maybe good to practice or warm up before switching to the wizard for shredding. :icon_thumright:

Back