What happenedd here?

DarkPenguin

Duplicolor blue honda color (no, I don't know why) with clear lacquer on top.  The back of the guitar body is as expected but the front completely hosed.  I sanded down a body before I painted it if that matters.  How did I hose this?

EM540214-e1400960007475.jpg

DarkPenguin said:
Scroll to the non blurry area.  My fault for being artistic.

Did it dry rough? If it did, and if it's just the base color coat, you can probably sand it flat and maintain the color with 800 grit or similar before doing your clear coats. Hard to tell from your picture though, sorry!

That happened after the clear coats went down.  I just sanded through the clear coats and that layer of paint.  It looks like something went wrong with that last layer of paint and it lifted when the lacquer hit it.  Trying to decide how far I want to sand and if I should re prime the top...

I should have put a coat of shellac on top of the duplicolor before hitting it with the lacquer.

This is my learn-how-to-do-shit body so it isn't a big deal but I'd like to get it

Last time I saw that kind of reaction was when I shot 100% acetone on a lacquer finish, thinking it would level it out. Won't do that again.

Oh.  I'm using canned lacquer.  I had some trouble with the can at one point.  I wonder if it was spitting more solvent than lacquer.....

Well, it is sanded flat.  Going to hit it with a touch of primer and will hopefully have enough paint to redo the top.  Then I'll try lacquer again.

I switched from minwax (which they tell me is nitro cellulose) to what the local dude had for lacquer.  The minwax went on better and behaved more like I expected.  For anything real I think I'll go with that.

Back