What Happened to Bloodwood?

Akirkland93

Anyone know when it will be available? Called last week and Warmoth said they'd let me know if it would be back, but haven't heard back yet.

Welcome to the forum.

Akirkland93 said:
Anyone know when it will be available?

Highly unlikely anyone on the forum will have definitive information for you.

Akirkland93 said:
Called last week and Warmoth said they'd let me know if it would be back, but haven't heard back yet.

Like many things around the world supply of things is not what it was pre pandemic. Possibly some exotic woods availability varied in any case. All I can suggest is that you wait.

Last I heard, Bloodwood is on its way out for good, due to its troublesome nature in production. 

J-Bones said:
Last I heard, Bloodwood is on its way out for good, due to its troublesome nature in production.

It does indeed look very fun to work with:
Workability: Bloodwood is extremely dense, and has a pronounced blunting effect on cutters. The wood tends to be brittle and can splinter easily while being worked. Those persistent enough to bear with the difficulties of working with Bloodwood to the finishing stage are rewarded with an exceptional and lustrous red surface.

Looks like a prime candidate for being axed to focus on woods/finish/colors that are known not to be problematic.

Bloodwood is beautiful.  But ... for the pieces that are good, it indeed shifts to brown with a hint of red, and in the right piece you get chatoyance, feels great, grain like ebony but with a hint more oil in the wood.  The browning takes does take a year for that to happen.  Sorry it's so troublesome.  It's my favorite, of course.  Oh well ... next neck might try bocote or ebony but with less black. still it’s beautiful.

Bloodwood also turns from red to brown as it ages and oxidizes, which poses a vexing problem for our photography and listing departments: a showcase necks sits on our shelves for a year and becomes a different color than it was when it was originally photographed and listed.

The Aaron said:
Bloodwood also turns from red to brown as it ages and oxidizes, which poses and cool problem for our photography and listing departments: a showcase necks sits on our shelves for a year and becomes a different color than it was when it was originally listed.

Not to mention that about 1 in 5 neck blanks passes QA because of twisting. Pretty wood, yes. Pain in the Arse, Yes.

There was a reason that builders used to let wood age for years before using it. That wasn't done simply because of tradition. However, in fairness they were not dealing with the production demands that are common today................ :headbang:

Reminds me of a joke. The church decided to hold a community yardsale. The pastor's mower had recently died, it was at the very end of mowing season, and he planned to get a new mower the next season, but needed to mow a couple more times this year. A member of the congregation had an old push mower, and he decided to give it a tug to be sure it ran. The seller's son came up and asked if he could help. The pastor asked, "Does this mower run well?" The reply "Well sir, that's a cussin mower.". The pastor said "Young man, I'll have you know I've not used language like that in over 50 years!" The young man replied "Just keep pulling on that rope. It'll come back to you."

I tried to rip and glue up some hickory for a guitar amp cabinet ages ago. The stuff went into the saw fairly straight, and looked like a banana peel coming out of the other end of the saw.

Back