What feels most like Ebony?

Wazatron

I've been reading a lot over the forums, and I've picked up some decent comparisons, but I'm still pretty curious on some explicit, direct thoughts.

After many years I think I can say it, my favorite fingerboard wood is... is... ebony. Just love it. But that dark of a fingerboard isn't right for all guitars.

So I'm curious - what other woods feel the most like ebony?

My own references: I have an ebony neck, a couple rosewood necks (which I do like) and one plain maple and one roasted maple neck. I do like how slick the roasted maple neck is, but something about it just doesn't quite feel as lively to me as the ebony. Personal preference, of course, but so it is. I've never tried a Pau Ferro neck and that seems like a good lighter candidate?

edit: spelling

Nope not Pau ferro. More importantly, why is ebony the best to you, you don't describe why you like it. What does lively mean to you?

Hmm. good question. I've been trying to find the right words, not sure I have, but we'll give it a go.

I'm sure it feels more "lively" to me because of how it feels under my fingers, and therefore how I might play a bit differently with it.

"Fast" and "smooth" are the easy words, but they're pretty accurate too. It does feel very smooth and very solid / tight. Whether you're going up or down on the fretboard or from top-string to low-string I never catch grain, I never feel disconnected from the strings. It's just like buttah. It feels a bit cool to the touch if that makes any sense - not tacky at all. Glassy almost. I guess it feels less like "wood" to me than my other necks. It's fun and comfortable, no matter what type of music I'm playing. That said, I guess I do reach for it more when I'm playing more leads, arpeggios, single-note lines, etc. I might grab something else for chords, though I also think that's probably more - or as much - neck shape as wood.

Does that help? :D

edit - added a bit more

So you're talking about feel not sound. And you know ebony has a high oil content, though maybe once year needs a mineral oil treatment if it's in a dry place, has tight smooth grain
tight grain and you're looking for something similar of similar hardness. I'm curious , what did the people on the other boards recommend, or when you say forums are you talking about here, and what do you think was unsatisfactory about the information. If it was here what Fret boards interest you.

Yes, definitely feel over sound. Regarding my "reading a lot over the forums" I haven't posted and asked anywhere yet - this is the place for that ;) I've just been looking at other threads talking about specific woods, such as this one. I mostly wanted to make sure that there wasn't already another post asking the exact same thing! lol

Best to make up your own mind on what feels good to you. I’d start by reading the descriptions on the warmoth website then look at descriptions on the wood database website. Look at the Janka scale and what they say about oiliness. Then I’d go to a store and try a bunch. Personally, I’ve found Bloodwood to be close to ebony, but why try something like what you already have? Why not go for goncalo or wenge? Something different?

Last edited:
Another, but I haven’t seen the W have it for a while (I do have a Tele neck in it), Brazilian Ebony. Feels and sounds like Ebony, but is more chocolate in color. Heavy as sin though.

Cagey did some work on it and it was the heaviest neck he had encountered.

Probably nothing is quite as smooth as Ebony, but I'd put in another vote for Ziricote. Both of them need oil to prevent them drying out too much.

I used to own a "the paul" with an ebony fretboard that I loved and sadly sold.

I never enjoyed playing rosewood.

My latest project has a Kingwood fretboard and it is my absolute favourite. I also own 2 Warmoth roasted maple necks which I love, just a little less....

Last edited:

Maybe a longshot: If you're concerned more with feel, you could consider a finish for the fretboard. I've heard this referred to as "Texas lacquer," but actual nitro lacquer may not hold up to wear as well as other finishes.

I do like the slick feel of ebony, but it can be bright. I prefer the sound of rosewood, and I have had good results with poly finishes.

Anyway, best research this further before using a finish on any expensive neck.

I've been reading a lot over the forums, and I've picked up some decent comparisons, but I'm still pretty curious on some explicit, direct thoughts.

After many years I think I can say it, my favorite fingerboard wood is... is... ebony. Just love it. But that dark of a fingerboard isn't right for all guitars.

My own references: I have an ebony neck, a couple rosewood necks (which I do like) and one plain maple and one roasted maple neck. I do like how slick the roasted maple neck is, but something about it just doesn't quite feel as lively to me as the ebony. Personal preference, of course, but so it is. I've never tried a Pau Ferro neck and that seems like a good lighter candidate?

edit: spelling
Pau Ferro, also known as Bolivian Rosewood or Morado, shares some similarities with ebony in terms of density and smoothness. It has a rich, warm tone and a smooth feel under the fingers, making it a favorite among guitarists who appreciate the characteristics of ebony but prefer a lighter-colored wood.

Pau Ferro, also known as Bolivian Rosewood or Morado, shares some similarities with ebony in terms of density and smoothness. It has a rich, warm tone and a smooth feel under the fingers, making it a favorite among guitarists who appreciate the characteristics of ebony but prefer a lighter-colored wood.

Thanks, AI bot!

Actually I just found it on google. For what I understand ebony(as in african ebony) is very expensive and to some extent regulated. Can anyone educate me?
Ebony is a bit more expensive and regulated than most other fretboard woods. The "perfectly black" pieces in particular have gotten pricier and harder to come by.

Also, what you found on Google is right; pau ferro does have a similar feel/density to ebony but a lighter brown color.

My pick for closest to ebony would be ziricote which it's also very dense and smooth

Back