What electronics rig and which brands?

rhythm

Ok guys, need help on deciding which electronics rig to use on my strat build and which components to use. Do I use standard, blender pot, s1? Nothing that needs a battery. And which pots and caps; CTS, Clarostat, RS, Jensen?

I know zip about electronics in guitars. :help:

It will be a sss strat if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help. :icon_thumright:

Also, forgot to ask............. Solder, the higher the silver content the better? Ive found some with 55% silver, would that be suitable?

I really like the blender pot circuit on my strat. I think it's very useful.

What pickup set are you using? The cheap ass rosin core solder from RadioShack works as good as anything else.

rhythm said:
Also, forgot to ask............. Solder, the higher the silver content the better? Ive found some with 55% silver, would that be suitable?

Ahh, the silver solder mojo/voodoo issue raises its head. Don't believe the hype, rosin core is fine.

> Ahh, the silver solder mojo/voodoo issue raises its head. Don't believe the hype, rosin core is fine.

We were all dreading this day.

:glasses10:

jackthehack said:
What pickup set are you using? The cheap ass rosin core solder from RadioShack works as good as anything else.

sss. Fralin Vintage Hot w/ Baseplate

What is the deal with solder? I presume its the conductivity of some? I was just under the impression that the higher the silver, the more suitable it is for audio applications. The know THE most important thing is making sure joints are good and doing a generally good job.

I actually get a free Fralin blender pot with the set and I also get a free Jensen copper foil paper in oil cap too.

Any opinions on the copper foil paper in oil cap?

Blender pot is cool on a strat. I would use the paper in oil cap - I might not bother paying extra for it, but you got it for free. As long as the pots are good quality, 250k audio taper you'll be rockin. Dunno if the solder makes any difference in the real world - I'm skeptical of that.

Here is one way to wire it up - I'd be tempted to swap the tone and blender pots around:
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/pdf/WiringDiagram_Strat_Blender.pdf

Max said:
Doc love's 'em.
I've got one that's going in my upcoming Tele.

I'll clarify that.  I have used them for specific builds, like my bk strat.  I also put one on the rhythm side of my les paul.  For the majority of builds, however, I use the RS caps.

Regarding the pots, I use RS, but they are repackaged CTS pots without the chrome coating that comes on the Warmoth pots.  Also, the volume pots have a slightly different taper.

onedrop said:
Blender pot is cool on a strat. I would use the paper in oil cap - I might not bother paying extra for it, but you got it for free. As long as the pots are good quality, 250k audio taper you'll be rockin. Dunno if the solder makes any difference in the real world - I'm skeptical of that.

Here is one way to wire it up - I'd be tempted to swap the tone and blender pots around:
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/pdf/WiringDiagram_Strat_Blender.pdf

Ok, blender seems to be worth while. Thanks for the input, and thanks for the diagram. the paper in oil cap is also a green light.

but........... we got any recommendations on which make pots to get. CTS gets thrown about a lot on this site and on others. Is CTS a company or is it a standard? Ive read some things that sugest it is either.

Thanks to all so far.

DocNrock said:
Like I said, I like the RS pots.  That would be my recommendation.

Yeah, but you said they were repackaged CTS. So does that mean they are physically CTS pots but with RS branding? So CTS is a company?  :icon_scratch:

rhythm said:
DocNrock said:
Like I said, I like the RS pots.  That would be my recommendation.

Yeah, but you said they were repackaged CTS. So does that mean they are physically CTS pots but with RS branding? So CTS is a company?  :icon_scratch:

Yes.  The only difference is that the volume pots sold by RS, although made by CTS, have a slightly different taper that makes them better suited for a volume pot that a simple audio taper pot; that pot is not available outside of RS.  The one they sell for the tone pot is a straight CTS audio taper pot.

Since I like their caps, as well, I find it easier just to get the pots and caps from one source, and I know I'm getting quality components.

Hope that helps.

rhythm said:
What is the deal with solder? I presume its the conductivity of some? I was just under the impression that the higher the silver, the more suitable it is for audio applications. The know THE most important thing is making sure joints are good and doing a generally good job.

Like Jack said, 60/40 (Tin/Lead) rosin core is fine for guitar electronics.  Silver solder has higher melting point, which makes it more resistant to desoldering.  If you don't know you need silver solder for a certain application...it really isn't worth the money spent.

blue313 said:
rhythm said:

Like Jack said, 60/40 (Tin/Lead) rosin core is fine for guitar electronics.  Silver solder has higher melting point, which makes it more resistant to desoldering.  If you don't know you need silver solder for a certain application...it really isn't worth the money spent.

Thanks guys. I am going with CTS volume, tone and blender pot. Just got some Cardas rosin core 3% silver solder. It was really cheap. and melts below 200C which suits me fine. I actually couldnt find a reasonably priced iron that could cope with the melting point of the 55% silver solder at 600C+. Maybe those temps would damage the components anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys.  :rock-on:

Back