What did I miss?

hannaugh

Master Member
Hey guys.  Long time since I've been on the forum.  What did I miss?  Have you been having waffles without me?  How are you all? 

I missed you all.  My mind has been other places and I've had to take a break from almost everything I was doing including working.  I've been having some health issues. I had a pretty severe battle with depression that I've only recently really made huge improvements in after a year of therapy and medications, and a couple of chronic pain conditions that I'm going to have to go through a lot of testing to sort out and make a diagnosis... so that's been loads of fun.  The hard thing is managing to stay happy and positive when I hurt all the time and I can't do the things I want to do.  I'm hopeful that I will get some solid information and advice soon though, and I am working on being healthier everyday as much as I am able.

BUT my husband and I are moving to Beaverton, OR in about 2 weeks to kind of make a fresh start, and I'm very excited about that because the weather/climate and the culture (and lack of heavy traffic and 2 hr. commutes) should be extremely helpful for all of my health problems.  And I think the area fits us pretty well since we are both very handy and DIY types and my husband loves brewing.  I'm very excited to live somewhere that has trees instead of desert and regular intense droughts/heatwaves.

Guitar plans right now are just to finish the Tele Halfmoth we were working on and I think I'm going to change the pickups and wiring in my blue LP yet again because I want something with tasty humbucker sized Roadhouse P90s.  I'm thinking about building a Vox AC4 clone still too. 

Let's see....  Cagey now only plays guitars with floyd's, finished necks, and more switches than strings.  But other than that, everything's the same.

Welcome back!

No waffles, sadly. But we're had some great guitars of the month.

Also, Warmoth has been doing giveaways! Oh, and roasted maple is an option now.

Hi Hannaugh, I was just wondering what was happening with your Tele build the other day.

It sounds like that move you have planned will do you the world of good. So wish you the best with that. Walking and good air is always a good thing.

Other than that we keep discussing different types of woods and hardware in different combinations and go ooh and aah at those ones that make us go ooh and aah.

Hey Hannaugh,

Sorry to hear about your health problems.  Physical and mental health we take for granted and it really sucks to be in a position where they are not good.  I wish you all the best and hope for a diagnosis and recovery.

Things around here have evolved over time.  I'm working on tele #7, which is a Tonar finished '64 care of Fernando (really).  Orpheo is out there somewhere building custom guitars and charging $$$ for them.  Other reports not withstanding, Cagey still hates floyds.  TFS is still an upstanding and knowledgable gentlemen, as is Tonar.  Oh -Fernando is getting into politics!  I'm still surprised that thread remained civil.  I'm watching my kids grow, learning Marty Stuart solos and working on album #5.  Speaking of kids, I was expecting you to say something like "I haven't been around in a while because I had a kid!  And here she is!! Tada!!".

I'm very sorry that you're not feeling well.  Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.  I can certainly help with that AC4 when you get around to it. :)

Yours always,
Trevor

So nice to hear from you! The forum isn't the same without you.

Sorry to hear about the health issues. We all get 'em of one kind or another. Sometimes in spades. I had part of a lung removed a coupla winters ago, and having a mild flirtation with the gout right now. ( I know! Who gets gout anymore?)

I'm still dragging my feet on the Brutal Legend V project, but it's about ready to send the neck off to Cagey for his magic and the body to Tonar for his.

Please be well and I hope your new home is a great fit. I hear nice things about Oregon. Hope to see it one day. Please stay in touch. We miss your input.

anorakDan said:
I know! Who gets gout anymore?

It's more common than you might think. Today, I suspect most sufferers are dealing with a hereditary trait. Your liver just doesn't process purines as well as it could and you over-produce uric acid, which crystalizes in the joints and causes inflammation. As you know, it's crippling painful.

In the past, diet was responsible for a slightly higher occurrence. While diet can bring it on in anyone, that's not usually the cause any more. We know better than to try to live on organ meats and can't afford to live on shellfish.

I've been taking Allopurinol for it for the last 6 months or so, and aside from an initial attack that the drug causes for some reason, I haven't had another since.

Hi hannaugh! I'm still pretty new at this, but I just wanted to say hello, and wish you the best in you fresh start. Glad things are looking up.

Yay, this is fun catching up!  I could have guessed some of it. 

Gout is horrible.  My friend's dad has it.  I hope it clears up for you anorakDan!

Trevor, I want to see that Tele, that sounds nice! 

line6man said:
Welcome back!

No waffles, sadly. But we're had some great guitars of the month.

Also, Warmoth has been doing giveaways! Oh, and roasted maple is an option now.

I heard about the giveaways the other day!  I had no idea.  I ordered a roasted maple neck for my Tele though, and it is niiiice.

Welcome Back! Good to see the forum is back to 99.9% dudes.

Good luck with the move and the health issues. We're dealing with a family member who has a sudden onset of gout as well and the Drs have traced it back to years and years of wrong diet choices. Hopefully all your ails will come out well.

Looking forward to seeing the Tele finished too.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Poor diet? Yeah... (hanging head guiltily) I guess that is truthful. Working on making it better!

I really don't want my lillte ailment to hijack this thread. It's about being happy to see Hannaugh back and her issues, not mine. But once again, thank you all.

Hey, I live right down the road from Beaverton, (Tualatin) we have more traffic than you think. Welcome to the place

I can handle sane amounts of traffic.  It seemed pretty average when we were there.  So Cal is freak traffic though.  It is so bad that I often would stay at work an extra 3 or 4 hours or go hang out at a restaurant for several hours rather than attempt to drive 30 miles in stop and go so I can leave at rush hour.  And I've been stuck in stop and go at 1 or 2am on more than one occasion. 

hannaugh said:
I can handle sane amounts of traffic.  It seemed pretty average when we were there.  So Cal is freak traffic though.  It is so bad that I often would stay at work an extra 3 or 4 hours or go hang out at a restaurant for several hours rather than attempt to drive 30 miles in stop and go so I can leave at rush hour. 

I had that situation some years back. Boss thought I was some kinda super-dedicated employee, but the fact of the matter was I could stay at the office and work an extra hour and a half or so, then make it home in 20 minutes, or I could leave at the normal quitting time and make it home in two hours ready to commit murder most foul just for the fun of it.

Yep, honestly it will take the same amount of time, but in one situation you at least get extra work done and you save some gas.

A couple months ago there was an accident on a freeway somewhere nearby, and it screwed up traffic flow so badly on all the surrounding freeways that when I finally got off to wait it out, about half the people in the restaurant I was in were also stranded due to the traffic.  I imagine a lot of the people in that packed mall with the restaurant were there because there was no way to get home.  I left work at 4:45 and got home at around 9. 

The 91 freeway is notoriously bad around here because it's the only way to get into the Corona area, and right now traffic is extra awful because of this construction project to "relieve" traffic, which is actually Cal Trans building another toll lane into the freeway.  So it will only relieve traffic for people who can afford the insanely expensive auto toll system, but it will inconvenience everyone for the 3 years it takes to build it. 

Yeah, I'm not going to miss CA.  Good riddance. 

hannaugh said:
The 91 freeway is notoriously bad around here because it's the only way to get into the Corona area

It's not just bad around there. SR91E begins 60 miles west of Corona, and I drive along the first 11 or 12 of those miles very frequently. It gets ridiculous very quickly, if you drive at the wrong time of the day. SR91 is my least favorite freeway to be on.

Glad to hear you're overcoming you troubles, you just have to kept your chin up and battle thru it. I used to live near Beaverton, next town over Hillsboro. Lived there from '82 to '83.

I'm still making neck plates amungst other things. hot rod parts, guitar parts, motorcycle parts....etc  I did get a bit of bad news a couple of weeks ago, my youngest brother has early stage of lung cancer which is somewhat difficult to comprehend. Since his father, my step dad just past away last year from lung cancer. But we have to keep our hopes up and fight the good fight....

Glad to see you here, Hannah!  I, too, had taken a detour away from the forum.  I've been back off and on, but life keeps interrupting.  :laughing7:

So sorry to hear that you have been having health issues.  I hope your health improves in the new environment.  If nothing else, your health will probably improve just being away from the daily stress of So Cal traffic! 

You are so right about the 91 between Riverside and Orange County.  That stretch of freeway is awful!  I didn't realize you lived in that area.  Back when I frequented the forum, in 2008-2009, my wife and I lived in San Diego.  In early 2012, we moved to Grand Terrace, just North of Riverside.  Then we settled in Redlands, about 15 miles East of Grand Terrace.  I had no idea we were practically neighbors!

It seems there is something in common between those of us in the Inland Empire.  You are going up to Oregon.  After being in the IE for three years, my wife and I realized why we moved away from here back in 2001!  So we're looking to relocate to Northern California. 

Anyway, welcome back!  I sincerely hope your health improves in the new Oregon environment.  I'm pretty sure that at least your stress level will drop precipitously!  :eek:ccasion14: 

Back