What are the best humbuckers to use for a 3-humbucker strat?

Jayko101

I'm wanting to build a 3-humbucker Strat and I'm wanting to know your guys's opinions so all feedback is appreciated  :icon_smile:

What tone or style of music as you wanting? That would be a good starting point.

Also, why 3 humbuckers? Its not a negative question, but just only curious as it may aid in the responding to the question.

Mostly rock/jazz and I'm wanting to do 3 because of all the different tone options. I'm wanting to cool tap probably the middle humbucker as well

May I suggest using 2 Duncan p-rails instead? You'll get plenty of tones out of those, without using three hummies.

My cranky side wants to say duck buckers is the best 3 humbucker arrangement for a strat, but that's probably not what you were looking for.

Are you going for full size humbuckers?

Else I would suggest:

Bridge: DiMarzio DP184 "Chopper"
Mid: DiMarzio DP188 "Pro Track"
Neck: DiMarzio DP186 "Cruiser"

I got the exact setup wired with a Super Switch for in-between humbucking which turned out to be a very versatile setup sound wise.

3lil_hum_1v_super5way.jpg

The Pro Track in the middle gives a surprisingly full and round tone. Easily used for jazz-type sounds.

You planning on doing something like this?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3732.0

I can tell what NOT to do, I loaded this build up with a Rio Grande TX/BBQ set in the neck/bridge position, and put an SD Jazz pickup in the middle for something "different"...

Problem is, the Jazz pickup has so much lower output that it's practically unusable unless you make a change to the amp volume setting compared to the other two.

Whatever pickups you use, it's probably best to follow the lead of what goes in Strats stock, i.e., neck/middle pickup of similar output and bridge pickup hotter than those two.

I did a similar build on a soloist body.  I used DiMarzio's in all three positions, the PAF Pro at the neck, Air Norton in the middle and a Super 3 at the bridge.  They are probably hotter overall than you are looking for, but it really rocks using a standard Strat five way switch, but I wired the bridge pickup to a separate volume knob and bypassed the tone knob for it only to get the maximum output from it.  The other two pickups share a volume and are wired through the tone control.  Here's the link.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19675.0

Homemade design and build prototype Honduran Mahogany topped with Australian Lacewood, custom copper pickguard with Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbucker, Bill Lawrence 500XL and Seymour Duncan JB Model pickups.

Back