Wenge neck - Won't stay smooth.

n1as

I have two basses with wedge neck shafts.  I've sanded both 600 1000 1500 2000.  They ended up really smooth and feel great.  But 6 most later the grain is starting to raise when my thumb touches the back of the neck.

I would expect any unfinished wood to have endless grain-raising issues yet so may people say to leave wedge unfinished.  This puzzles me.

I'm thinking another 600 - 2000 sanding session followed by a rub on oil would be the ticket.

Hmm I have a wenge neck and have never had this issue… do you have really sweaty hands or something?

I have two Conklin basses, both with wenge necks.  One I've had for 20+ years, the other is the same age, but I've owned for less than a year.  Neither have this issue.  The only major work I've done is take care of some fret sprout on my 5-string (the one I've owned for 20+ years).

Never had any grain rise with either of them.

So, my experience with wenge grain raising over time is not universal?  I don't consider myself to have especially damp hands.  Maybe it is because both necks are relatively new (12 mos +/-).

All I know is I loved how smooth they became after the progressive dry sanding I did but lamented how they became rough again in the subsequent months.

The only way I can see this happen is if you brought it to a gig and while you got a beer someone who worked in a chemical factory slathered their grubby hands over it.
My recommendation is clean with naphtha reburnish  the neck then apply a light coat of mineral oil.

You need to get rid of whatever chemical was put on it.  What that chemical was who knows.

Well, the only gigs have been at church where nobody but me touches the bass. A gig is a whopping 2 sets of 4 songs.  No long sweaty marathons.  Both necks went straight from Warmoth to me.

The grain raising is in the areas where my thumb makes contact

Well, something on the thumb contaminated the wood.  It wasn’t sweat.

I have two basses with wedge neck shafts. I've sanded both 600 1000 1500 2000. They ended up really smooth and feel great. But 6 most later the grain is starting to raise when my thumb touches the back of the neck.

I would expect any unfinished wood to have endless grain-raising issues yet so may people say to leave wedge unfinished. This puzzles me.

I'm thinking another 600 - 2000 sanding session followed by a rub on oil would be the ticket.
i finished a wenge neck 18 months ago and it’s still glass smooth. Here’s what I did, which is close to your process:

1. sanded up to 400 grit, cleaned off sawdust
2. applied a thin coat of Tru Oil with cloth, sanded with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper using TO as lubricant, then wiped another light coat immediately after sanding. I progressed down the neck small sections at a time. I lightly wiped off excess oil with a shop towel as I moved down.
3. once dry (6-12 hrs) scuffed with fine synthetic sanding pad (grey colored 3M) … repeat steps 2 & 3
4. keep progressing with the following grits, two coats each: 800, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000. I occasionally burnished with an old tee shirt between coats.
5. Finished with a light coat of Casey‘s Gunstock wax.

It had a rosewood fretboard, which I taped off.

here’s the end result:

Back