Well, TECHNICALLY it's a Telecaster... (vintage purists need not enter)

Ace Flibble

Y'know, in terms of the headstock shape and the basic body outline. Everything else, not so much.

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

What I meant to snap and didn't was the very slight flame-like figuring ont he back of the neck. Forgot and now I put everything away, ah well.
And don't worry, there is now a Warmoth decal on it. Lost it in my parts drawer right up until sitting down to write this.

I don't expect anyone to think it's pretty. You might like the spec though.

Body is solid alder with a contoured heel - everything else you can see. Great weight to it, feels about the same as my black korina thinline. I can't say I've noticed too much benefit from the contoured heel, though I do most of my playing before the 15th fret anyway. It is slightly nicer on the palm on the rare time I go up to the 17th though, so it's a welcome addition.

Neck is 24.75" conversion, purpleheart stock with ebony fretboard, SS6105 frets, TUSQ nut and Sperzel staggered tuners. This marks both my first raw neck and also my first time with stainless steel frets, and I doubt I'll ever go back to anything else. Typical Warmoth Standard Thin - I've never been 100% happy with it in the past but the '59 neck is a little too thick for my liking and I figured better the devil you know. As it turns out this one does feel ever so slightly rounder than my previous two Standard Thin necks so it's as close to perfect as I could have asked for. The Sperzel tuners really are rather great too, I really appreciated how easy they were to install and not having to drill for string retainers. Annoyingly this is the first of my Warmoth necks which is going to have to have some work done to the nut, I use a .10-.50 set which fit in the last two fine but on this one the low E, A and D strings all sit just on top of the slot. Little annoying but nothing that can't be fixed.

Electronics are alpha pots - they fit the holes better, the knobs fitted them without having to bend anything and I like their taper - with a .022uf orange drop on the bridge tone and a 0.33uf paper-in-oil cap on the neck tone, for a little more range.
Neck pickup is a DiMarzio PAF Pro. Only used these in the bridge before, really liking how it sounds in the neck. Typical neck thickness but just a touch brighter on the lowe strings, no mud to be found. It's surprisingly nice clean, sounds very close to a Phat Cat.
Bridge pickup is a DiMarzio Evo 2. It's had a lot of bad reviews because people expected it to be just a better version of the Evo. I'm liking it though. I use the Evo in some of my 7-strings and the Evo 2 is a lot like the 7-string version of the Evo. It's slightly warmer than an Evo is and has slightly lower output, making it a much more versatile pickup. It's also the most incredibly responsive bridge pickup I've come across other than an EMG 81. It's almost too responsive, it certainly make smy sloppy playing more obvious - good job I mostly stick to rhythm.

Bridge needs changing, as the high E string slips out of the saddle whenever I bend it past the 10th fret. Looks like the notch in the saddle wasn't cut properly or some such. Also I somehow managed to wire the selector switch backwards, so up is bridge and down is neck. I'm liking it, bizarrely. Like the flipped 5-way switch on some old Kramers, having it backwards actually kind of makes sense in the middle of playing.

And a little tip for anyone else who thinks of sticking a tune-o with a stopbar on a carved Tele: don't do this and expect low action. Luckily, I set all my guitars up for fairly high action anyway as I'm prone to whipping out a slide at odd times and as I've said, I'm not much of a shredder. If I was though then this guitar would be causing me problems. Even with the neck straightened out more than it needs to be and the tune-o screwed down literally all the way it can go, the action is still at about 2.5mm. I usually set to 2.2mm so I can handle this alright but if I did want to get that ultra-low Satriani kind of feel then the guitar would need a lot of work.

... Well, C.C. DeVille would probably approve. Eww.

Either C.C., or Steve Stevens.  :laughing11:

I actually kind of like it. It's not the same old crap that I like. Besides, you can always use more purple.

Cool. But I'm no purist either.

I could make a smilar guitar myself. But I think I'll opt for a recessed TOM.

But nice job here  :icon_thumright:

I like it, to look at for a few seconds anyway... it's, like, ironic in a go-go boots kind of way. Are we not Devo?  :hello2:

I, personally, would shim the neck if the strings are popping out of the bridge and "Even with the neck straightened out more than it needs to be".... Truss rods aren't supposed to adjust overall action, just the relief. I know the purists insist that a shim is a disgrace to the sanctity of the almighty "tight neck pocket" but on every guitar I've owned of this type, it was actually the screws that held the neck on! I must misunderstand the concept of tighter than tight.  People swoon over a neck that has to be pounded in to a squeaky neck pocket - but then they use screws anyway! Mysterious.... :icon_scratch:

I've seen guitars with big spaces on the sides of the neck pocket, yet the neck stayed on the guitar! Like THIS ONE, for example:
Scottystele.jpg

Scotty Anderson can kick your ass, with or without a tight neck pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTf7Phrlos&feature=related

I like everything except the purple knobs. Could just be the picture, but they look too different from the shade of purple for the pickups to me. Like everything else! Really cool guitar

the best thing about Teles is there is a Tele for everyone.

I love that you found your Tele, Tele's are the ultimate guitar and after owning that a while you will understand why. Right now I am laying around the couch, listening to Kid Rock's latest playing my ES 335 feeling really good about life, but before I get up I will have my Tele in my hand teaching his band how to do it,

Teles rule, always have, always will, even when they are out of style, Teles rule.

Pretty cool!

Did Warmoth do the routing of the toggle switch hole and drill the holes for the volumes and tones?

I wouldn;t be down too much on the guitar just because it looks different.

If it sounds good, plays well and your idea of the project turned out as planned, then it is a darned good success I say.  :blob7:

It has a theme, it is neat and tidy in that aspect, and it looks well made. :icon_thumright:

JaySwear said:
I like everything except the purple knobs. Could just be the picture, but they look too different from the shade of purple for the pickups to me. Like everything else! Really cool guitar

I think if the knobs had black imprinted numbers and letters, they'd look better than they do - the gold (?) is a little outside the guiding principle of purple/black/white.

Steve_Karl said:
Pretty cool!

Did Warmoth do the routing of the toggle switch hole and drill the holes for the volumes and tones?
Yeah, they put up a handful of carved Tele bodies in the showcase a few months ago with LP control layouts. There were still a couple left, last time I looked. It works nicely for me because I'm always torn between my LPs and my Teles - this solves that problem.

bagman67 said:
JaySwear said:

I think if the knobs had black imprinted numbers and letters, they'd look better than they do - the gold (?) is a little outside the guiding principle of purple/black/white.
Yeah, I'm not keen on the gold either. The knobs are actually pretty much the right shade but they have a matte finish while the pickup bobbins have a glossy finish, does certainly make the pickups look brighter. Also one of the volume knobs has faded a little on one side, these knobs are a few years old now.

Annoyingly, DiMarzio used to make speed knobs which were a perfect match but they stopped producing them about six months before I ordered all this stuff, and I can't find any old stock anywhere. I did find some DM purple bell knobs on eBay, but those never turned up and the seller won't respond to my messages, YAY EBAY SCUM. So, these will have to do for now until I can find some of the DM speed knobs.

I really can't get enough of this neck. I think I'm going to have to place an order for a couple more raw necks sometime soon, fit them to my other Warmoths and Fenders. And having spent another day with them I can tell the difference the steel frets make too. I doubt I'm going to be using anything but Warmoth necks from here on out.

I like it too.. also wish the purple plastic would match the neck a little better..

don't care for purple, but I strongly considered such a configuration for the project I'm working on now - until I got to the neck angle bit.  Really like the idea of HOLLOW not just chambered, and that's not available in Strats.

I like the look of it as well.  Really cool tele.  I suppose if the purple knobs don't work out you could always go black. :rock-on:

Here's black on purple from Allparts:

http://www.allparts.com/Purple-Stratocaster-Tone-Knobs-p/pk-0153-040.htm
PK-0153-040-2.jpg

OR this guy -- the auction description says the jewel is as shown, but the knob barrel is black, not gold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Q-Parts-Purple-Abalone-mini-dome-black-knobs-set-4-/310308129209?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item483fce49b9#ht_1599wt_1139

domecrystalpurple.jpg

I'm in the UK so no such purchases for me ;) Actualyl I have seen the Q Parts knobs before; they were a bit too glam for my liking. I actually bought those other ones too, from a UK supplier, turned out they are actually very pink (more like Warmoth's neon purple finish), so that's a pass there.

I figure I'll keep looking for a set of the DiMarzio knobs, either speed or bell, for a perfect match, and if nowt comes up I'll either see how I'm living with the purple/gold or I'll slap some black speed knobs on there.

Back