Weird audio problem in my car - ideas?

hannaugh

Master Member
This is a really strange problem.  I think I figured out how to fix it when it pops up, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what would cause this.

I like to listen to the Marc Maron WTF podcast when I'm driving to work.  I have a premium membership to the podcast, which runs from an app on my Samsung Tab 3.  I have a Sony stereo with an aux input in my car, so I plug into that with a cable from my tablet.  Sometimes the audio breaks down randomly in the middle of an episode and I can still hear the talking, but it gets static-y and nasal sounding to the point where I can't understand what is being said. 

If I pause it, the static remains for about 3 seconds and then there is a popping sound and it stops.  When I press play, it will usually go back to normal.  Sometimes it will only go back to normal for a few seconds before it does it again and I will continue to have problems with it until I unplug the line from the tablet and plug it back in again.  That seems to reset it to the point where I won't have the problem for a while. 

I don't have this problem with my music app on that tablet or listening to anything else in my car, it's just the WTF app.  I don't have this problem at home listening to it on my stereo in my room or listening to it with headphones or with the little speaker on the tablet.

At first I thought it was some sort of weird radio or cell phone interference or something because I noticed it was happening mostly when I was in stop and go traffic in one area for a long time, but now it seems to be happening more randomly.  Any ideas what would cause this?

I remember when audio was analog. 

Just working though it,
- not a  problem with the stereo
- not a problem with the cable (audio?  1/8 TRS?)
- not a hardware problem with the tablet
- not an OS problem with the tablet.

That just leaves the app.  Stupid idea, but have you tried the old windows trick?  (Uninstall and re-install)

Other than that I've got nothing.  Sorry man.

Back