"Weathering" ash or other wood...

jackthehack

Epic Member
I had an idea that an interesting finish would be black grain fill on a swamp ash body that was "weathered" to a gray color like a fence or an unpainted barn. I've been experimenting with one of my cheap import ash test bodies left outside in the elements; but problem is the grain raises too much to do a gloss top coat on and sanding back loses the "patina"

Is their some chemical/topical way to "weather" ash or other woods? All I can seem to find on the 'net are funky paint-on finishes or are for deck lumber or other usages that do not involve having a smooth finish at the end of the process....

I have always assumed that sunlight was a big factor in the weathering process. It is a pretty slow process however so I am not sure how practical it would be to implement in a finishing process.

Years ago I was on a high end construction project where the contractor was siding a horse barn with top quality sawn cedar shingles. The owner insisted on a uniform appearance to the new shingles and so they were treated in a liquid solution that weathered them prior to installation. I remember them being dipped in a tank in some type of solution. The immediately turned silver and the overall effect was quite beautiful. It looked as though the barn had been there for 5 years right after it was completed. Unfortunately, I don't know what product was used to achieve the weathered appearance.

RM

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/weathered_wood/

Hey, it's a start.

you can dilute - i mean REALLY dilute some dye - waterbased is good

just wash the wood

then experiement with colors- washed

and... then sand it back as you must... maybe touch it up... and apply top coats

Jack,
Potassium permangnate is the stuff you want to use. It should work and it is fun to say.

Potassium permanganate is the chemical compound KMnO4. In this salt, manganese is in the +7 oxidation state. The salt is also known as "permanganate of potash." The permanganate ion is a strong oxidizing agent. It dissolves in water to give deep purple solutions, evaporation of which gives prismatic purplish-black glistening crystals.[1

Tonar8353 said:
Jack,
Potassium permangnate is the stuff you want to use. It should work and it is fun to say.

Potassium permanganate is the chemical compound KMnO4. In this salt, manganese is in the +7 oxidation state. The salt is also known as "permanganate of potash." The permanganate ion is a strong oxidizing agent. It dissolves in water to give deep purple solutions, evaporation of which gives prismatic purplish-black glistening crystals.[1

Just keep your potassium permanganate away from glycerine.

...and keep those two away from iron oxide.  :evil4:

Tonar - Can try the KMnO4, but I would think any solution would have to be very dilute as not to turn out purple, what %? Is it soluable in alcohol?

Jack,
The crystals are purple and they turn water purple but after it dries the wood oxidizes to a brownish color.  I cannot tell you the ratio; you will have to try it out on your test body to find out what will give you the desired effect.   I would start with a light mixture and go progressively darker. Let it dry completely to see if you have reached the desired color.   It needs to be mixed in water so it will raise the grain.  Try raising the grain with just water first and sand it back before you use the mix. You can find the stuff online, check Ebay.

PS It works on Maple too.  It is great for a realistic Relic look.   

Back