waterslide decal application on Warmoth gloss neck: polyurethane?

buckallred

I read the other posts on this subject, but am still not clear.

My understanding is that the "gloss" finish applied by Warmoth (to my tele neck) is a polyurethane finish. So a clear poly spray from a can should be OK going over the decal and headstock . . . correct?

SO: After I carefully apply the waterslide decal, with no bubbles under it, and it thoroughly dries, I would like to spray clear polyurethane (from a can) over the decal (after masking off the sides, etc of the headstock).

What are the pitfalls here?

All advice and input is appreciated.

buckallred said:
I read the other posts on this subject, but am still not clear.

My understanding is that the "gloss" finish applied by Warmoth (to my tele neck) is a polyurethane finish. So a clear poly spray from a can should be OK going over the decal and headstock . . . correct?

SO: After I carefully apply the waterslide decal, with no bubbles under it, and it thoroughly dries, I would like to spray clear polyurethane (from a can) over the decal (after masking off the sides, etc of the headstock).

What are the pitfalls here?

All advice and input is appreciated.
Having never sprayed over a decal with gloss poly I can only tell you about gloss nitro and satin poly. I do not use masking tape because the edge of the tape sometimes leaves behind a line. Just spray the headstock and decal lightly, let it dry and if you want carefully sand along the cut edge of the waterslide and spray it again, finish with 0000 steel wool and buff.  Try to let the finish rain a bit on the head stock instead of shooting it directly, be sure the finish is thoroughly dry.  
When a decal is stuck on a headstock after finishing instead of during the process you can only go so far. It’s almost like a neck made from an exotic wood that requires no finish but needs a finish under and over a waterslide so in either case you’re faced with limitations. The last person I explained this to wound up finishing an entire exotic wood neck all for the sake of a decal. A man must know his limitations...according to Dirty Harry. The tuners, strings, string tree and time all help hide imperfections; practice on something expendable.

Back