Watcha readin'?

I just got

Ameritopia, the unmaking of America

it is fascinating the insite this guy has

politicians watch out

"Fame is Infamy" by Andrew Schwab

"Til we have Faces" by C.S. Lewis

Orwell's "1984"

And I just got my hands on Adam Kadmon's "Guitar Grimoire", daunting, but fun work with scales!

Currently "Prelude to Foundation" (Asimov, obviously) and I just finished "The Fry Chronicles", the second of Stephen Fry's autobiographies.

I'm re-reading The Jungle Book.  I haven't read it since I was 8 or 9.  I forgot how awesome a character Bagheera is, and how different it is from both of the movie versions. 

Bite me, Cagey.  It's a novel, not a picture book.  I'm reading it because it's on a list of classic literature I'm going through. 

It's pretty messed up, there is a lot more violence in it than what I remembered.  Mowgli kills Shere Khan and skins him and then dances around with the skin.  Then there's the section about Kotick the white seal watching tons of his seal friends get clubbed to death.  Honestly, if I had a kid, I don't think I would necessarily want them to read it until they were a little older than when I read it. 

hannaugh said:
I'm re-reading The Jungle Book.  I haven't read it since I was 8 or 9.  I forgot how awesome a character Bagheera is, and how different it is from both of the movie versions. 

its a great book! I used to read it all the time when I was a kid  :hello2:

It is written in such an odd way (especially how the animals use a lot of archaic words), but I like that.  I've always enjoyed Rudyard Kipling.  I want to read The Man Who Would Be King one of these days too. 

I'm thinking of re-reading The Hobbit before the movie comes out too.  I must have read that 3 or 4 times as a kid. 

hannaugh said:
It is written in such an odd way (especially how the animals use a lot of archaic words), but I like that.  I've always enjoyed Rudyard Kipling.  I want to read The Man Who Would Be King one of these days too. 

I'm thinking of re-reading The Hobbit before the movie comes out too.  I must have read that 3 or 4 times as a kid. 

YES!!! the hobbit was my absolute #1 fav as a kid, in fact, I was so nerdy about it that when I was 10, I asked my mom to make me a Bilbo Baggins halloween costume, after that  I would play with a toy sword and a cheap ring my grandma gave me and pretend to be Bilbo, I would always make my little brother have to pretend like he was gollum and chase me haha! (what can I say, I was a huge dork as a kid! haha!)
I read all of Tolkien's stuff and I'm a huge fan of the Lord of The Rings, Silmarillion etc. but the Hobbit still holds a special place in my heart  :icon_biggrin: I've been reading some of C.S. Lewis' non-fiction stuff a lot lately, and I think I'll go back and read the Chronicles of Narnia series again, I enjoyed those as a kid as well  :icon_thumright:

I've never read the Narnia books, but my mom has all of them.  I liked the movies.  I should read them one of these days.  I read some of the Wizard of Oz books as a kid too, but there are a lot in the series I didn't read, so I'd like to go back and read them at some point. 

I had been reading some freaky stuff for a while (HP Lovecraft, Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc), so I like to take a break with something from my childhood once in a while.  Sometimes if I'll do that if I've been reading really old literature that is kind of hard to read because it's just refreshing to zip right through a book instead of having to look up a bunch of archaic words along the way.  Plus it's like comfort food for the brain.  If I'm having trouble sleeping, I like to put on some cartoons I liked when I was a kid (like Ducktales!), and that is so soothing to my mind that I can sleep.  Same thing, just the reading equivalent. 

Ducktales! That was my show as a kid! That and Darkwing Duck, which uses a lot of the same characters anyway.

Kipling has some freaky stuff too, Hannah. There's a published anthology out there, "Tales of Horror and Fantasy" or something like that--Neil Gaiman is somehow involved--you should check it out. I haven't read much of it, but I've liked what I have read. There's more to ol' RK than just The Jungle Book and Gunga Din!  :icon_biggrin:

I had an Amazon cheapie-binge to add to the top of my toile....umm my library. Some that I wound up getting was the "Fender:  The Sound Heard Round The World" history book that was put out a year or two before Leo's death, the autobiographies of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Aerosmith (after reading that book when I was 14, I bought "Pandora's Box,"  and was floored when I heard the slam of "Train Kept A Rollin'), Eric Clapton, and Steven Tyler (which, as you read it, reinforces the notion that Steven has a wicked case of ADD, almost moreso than Robin Williams). I also have a couple of 20th century classics as well:  Orwell's "Animal Farm," and Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath."  That should last me about a year, then I'll refresh the stock.

John St. Jelly said:
Ducktales! That was my show as a kid! That and Darkwing Duck, which uses a lot of the same characters anyway.

Kipling has some freaky stuff too, Hannah. There's a published anthology out there, "Tales of Horror and Fantasy" or something like that--Neil Gaiman is somehow involved--you should check it out. I haven't read much of it, but I've liked what I have read. There's more to ol' RK than just The Jungle Book and Gunga Din!  :icon_biggrin:

That sounds awesome, I'll have to check it out.  I've noticed that a lot of famous authors from that time period wrote scary stuff on the side.  I read some scary short stories by Robert Louis Stevenson a while back. 

I love Darkwing Duck.  I used to work at a comic book store (quit a couple months ago), and when the new Darkwing Duck series came out last year (or was it 2010?), I bought the first one, which promptly went up from $2.99 to being worth $40 if you have the first printing because apparently hardly anyone ordered it for their stores, not realizing that a lot of comic book fans my age would want it.  Anywho, fast forward to January and I was helping my mom at a collectibles sale and I happened to meet the creative team behind the comics because they had a booth at the sale.  I drove home and got my comic, they all signed it, the artist drew a sketch on the cover for me, and I ended up talking to the guy who comes up with the plots for like an hour and he gave me a Darkwing Duck pin off of his shirt.  My 10 year old self would have been dancing around with excitement! 

Lately it's been mostly the "Recent Unread Topics" @ unofficialwarmoth dot whatchacallit.

Before that was a re-read of Mary Stewarts version of the story of Arthur.
Was a great read as it was my 1st e-book on the new Nook. Someone had been kind enough to combine all 4 books into a single digital volume & sell it at an attractive price.

Loved it! Hadn't read it in years, so it was just a leisure reminder of what a pleasant story it is.

And I found out I like the Nook a lot more than I thought I would.
Now it's down to, so many books, so little time.

And I hope to start a new one soon.

I read the first one of those, but it kind of annoyed me that Merlin was such a wuss for so long, and that Mary Stewart just glossed over the big battle that the book had been leading up to.  My mom tells me the books get a lot better after the first one, but I don't know if I want to invest more time in it. 

I've been on a reading binge. I read six Elmore Leonard books, a memoir called "The Tender Bar" and now I'm reading the Game of Thrones books. I'm on the third one, "A Storm of Swords."

How Music Works
Life Without Limits
The Tao of Music
Happier Than a Billionaire
Moby Duck (yes, 'duck')
Right Ho Jeeves

And about twenty others.  Having an e-reader is not good for my ADHD!  I flip between books like crazy.

P.S. Is there any way to not have to fill the verification letters out for every post?  I get them wrong half the time.

Back