Watcha readin'?

hannaugh said:
What is... Moby Duck???  It sounds like an Uncle Scrooge comic.

Lol!  Yeah, it does!  THIS is the book.  I like travel adventure stories and this kinda has an element of that.

Looks really interesting.  I'll have to add that to my list. 

Also, Moby Duck apparently had his own comic book series. 

134863.jpg

8762-2361-9673-1-moby-duck_large.jpg

887748-1819_4_16_super.jpg

hannaugh said:
Also, Moby Duck apparently had his own comic book series.

Gotta say I'm not surprised!  Lol!  Actually, they look really familiar.  I think my dad had one of those comics from his childhood and I might have read it when I was a kid. 

Just picked up a new book last night while I was out of town--On a Cold Road.  I've only read the first little bit of it, but it is very well-written.  It's about touring in Canada, from the perspective of the guitarist of the Rheostatics.

Dave Bidini? He's a really good writer. I don't know if he still does, but he used to write for a few magazines. I always liked his columns in Maisonneuve.

Yeah, he certainly can write!  I was surprised at how good he is.  I've read a lot of musician biographies and they vary in how readable they are, often being interesting because of the life of the person rather than the way it's written, but this one (so far as I've read) really grabs you and pulls you in.

Just finished reading Bear Grylls' autobiography.  I don't watch TV, so had no previous exposure to him. I really enjoyed the book, though.  After reading it I checked out some clips on YouTube, but the book was far better.  He is a humble and down-to-Earth guy and his life's adventures are amazing.

Resurrecting this thread. I've been reading like a mad fiend.

I read all five of the published Game of Thrones books.

Read the Hunger Games triology.

Read most of DeLillo's "White Noise" before I had to return it to the library (it didn't really do it for me; too neurotic).

I read "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson ... that was a tome, and awesome. What a yarn.

A few other things, here and there, but nothing too well known: "Mine All Mine", "The American Plague" (this one suffered from really poor editing, though) ...

reluctant-builder said:
Read most of DeLillo's "White Noise" before I had to return it to the library (it didn't really do it for me; too neurotic).

I love DeLillo's work, but I can definitely see the neurosis/claustrophobia/oppressiveness of the environment in White Noise.  I have re-read it a couple times, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Check out his book Libra - pretty solid conspiracy-theorist fun'n'games.

I recently read Tony Iommi's "Iron Man".  A friend loaned it to me.  I was never a big Black Sabbath fan so it's not something I would have bought myself, but I did enjoy reading it.

Another one that I read a while back and frequently recommend is "Charlie Wilson's War".  I bought this in an airport bookstore because I needed something to read on a flight with no idea what it was about.  Turned out to be a great book though the movie they made of it was pretty bad in my opinion.  It's really an amazing and at times very funny story.

I just started on Jonathan Haidt's "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion". Seems pretty solid so far, if you like psychology books. I'm early in it, but it appears he's going to work the "fight or flee" instinct from the perspective of "approach or avoid", both of which are fundamental processes that even animals engage in for survival purposes. I've long thought that you can learn more from animals than you can from humans when it comes to behavior because they're perfectly honest and have severely limited reasoning capability. Gets you a lot of raw data you can trust.

We've been reading a lot of old Heinlein with our kids after dinner lately. Star Beast, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Orphans of the Sky, et.al. Great way to get the boys into reading.

Personally, I'm a huge McDevitt fan. Engines of God was one of the best books I've ever read and I've re-read it a number of times. Of course there's always Tolkein...

Recently finished all 5 of the Game of Thrones, Ace Frehleys No Regrets and Zakk's book Bringing Metal to the Children.  Currently reading King's new (well old now) book.

:blob7:    Just about to start reading (bedtime reading that is)..... 

'How Music Works' by David Byrne

Have always loved his style and his ability to write amazing lyrics.
Very talented person in my eyes.
Sounded like (from write-ups / reviews) that it would be a decent read.

Shall let ya know  :icon_thumright:

Nightie Night  :icon_biggrin: 

I've heard good things about Byrne's book. I read an excerpt from his take on silence that I found really interesting. Let us know how it goes.  :icon_thumright:

I'm about halfway through One Hundred Years of Solitude. Fantastic. I can see why it's a classic.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series-burnin' thru 'em one after another. Also Gregg Allman's "My Cross to Bear".

John St. Jelly said:
I'm about halfway through One Hundred Years of Solitude. Fantastic. I can see why it's a classic.

I've started and stalled out on that one about five times.  Never got further than 20 pages in.  Probably due to external factors, but that book is kind of a symbol of something unrelated to itself for me.

Back