Warning- Gotoh Floyd Rose

jerryjg

Just picked a Gotoh Floyd Rose off Ebay. I ruined a Nice Jackson DXMG body trying to retrofit the damn thing into the JT580 holes. The damn stupid  studs on the Gotoh Tremolo are almost twice as fat and at least 1/4" taller than the JT_580 .
I really do not know what type of guitar this unit is supposed to fit.
More insanity from the crazy Japanese!
I do know an original floyd rose will drop right in the Dinky Jackson and Solist bodies , because I've had the OFR  in the Jackson dinky style AND a Soloist body before ( replaced a JT-590 with no problem)..
I was looking forward to installing that Gotoh unit, cause i really like the quality and profile of it, but instead I leapt b4 i looked and screwed up the nice flamed maple top Jackson  body i had.
May be a darn nice excuse to have Warmoth make me a nice Soloist body body!!
Doth  Warmoth make a body that will fit my 24 fret 25.5 scale Jackson proffesional neck? I really need to keep that neck, its just ducky!
Can Warmoth route their Soloist bodies for that Gotoh Floyd? Anyone here know?

It's meant to fit a new guitar, not replace an existing trem. Unless you know a very good luthier (I had one fitted to an Ibanez SA Prestige) and it's now one of the nicest guitars I've ever owned (see attached)

i bought studs from warmoth and put it in an ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE ROUT. the jacksons use SCHALLER FLOYD ROSE ROUTS. huge difference.

At the end of the day, it's your fault for not checking. The Gotoh Floyd Rose is a great trem and I'd recommend it to anyone. The fact you tried to fit it without checking things is your fault

Wana's made a guitar said:
You don't HAVE to use the studs supplied.

Somehow I think the studs on the Gotoh Floyd are proprietary to that model.
But yeah, it was my mistake -, I did check, but i tried to install the posts myself  and ended doing a terribel job. Im not to the level of doing something like that. You need a drill press, the right drill etc. I just used a handrill with no clapmps and ended up chewing up the route holes and going through the body and wrecked it.
Well, Im going to have a pro luthier put that Gotoh Floyd on my Japanese Soloistt, even though the Takeuchi JT-580 thats on there is a good tremolo.

If you are going to a professional luthier, why not take the ruined guitar to them and see if it can be resurrected?  :dontknow:

Gotoh Floyds are direct retrofits for the original Ibanez Edge trems. They're made in the same place in Japan according to all of the Suhr afficionado's.

Also, this is my first post, so Hi :)

Welcome to the board Fluxx.

I see you like vintage threads (last post before yours was over 3 years ago)

Well I was just browsing around and reading about different bridges, and this thread was linked to through other threads and I thought i'd add a more complete answer to the OP's question, as these Gotoh floyds are still all over the place. I won't bump too many ancient threads,I promise  :laughing7:

Oh, and keep your eye on the "new arrival" section for my Warmoth strat that should be getting assembled this coming week  :icon_thumright:

Back