Warmoth vs Vortex headstocks

Isurus

The Vortex and Warmoth-style headstocks are very similar in appearance.  Is there a reason they have two such similar shapes?  Or is there something else distinctly different about them?  I think I like the standard Warmoth shape, but these two are so darn close.

Style mostly, look at the old ovation and adamas headstocks. Some people like the look slightly offset.  The vortex neck is more like the prs neck with holes and strings more in alignment, slightly better for a trem.

I would say they look similar as they are variations of a theme and nothing more than that. The main difference is the positioning and alignment of tuner holes.

I have the Vortex headstock on the pseudo-L5S in my sig. Works well even with the Bigsby because of the straight string pull.

Yes. They look very similar, but the holes for the tuners are spaced a little better.

Vortex = Symmetrical tuner alignment
Warmoth = Asymmetrical tuner alignment

Personally, I prefer the Vortex by a mile.

But that's just me.

The Aaron said:

But that's just me.

Aaron, do you prefer it for the appearance, string pull, or both?  I actually prefer the Warmoth from an aesthetic standard, but I don't think I'd be willing to sacrifice tuning stability with a trem if it's significant.

Just throwing this out there, and I know this answer does not directly related to the question asked....

Tiltback Strat headstock.  Provides straight line to the tuning pegs.

I have one of these going on my new build.  Had a local shop install a delrin nut.  Tried it out on the last guitar built, and it holds tune better than an LSR nut.

Isurus said:
The Aaron said:

But that's just me.

Aaron, do you prefer it for the appearance, string pull, or both?  I actually prefer the Warmoth from an aesthetic standard, but I don't think I'd be willing to sacrifice tuning stability with a trem if it's significant.

The visual aspect, is all.

Side question, and I posted a topic.
Any insight into a hard case for a VIP with a Vortex headstock? The headstock hits the case bottom in a Roadrunner strat case.  No angled neck pocket if that makes a difference

Back